Have an Old VY558705AJ 60 Gallon

6 years 6 months ago #2150 by Superbee
Have an Old VY558705AJ 60 Gallon was created by Superbee
I picked this up from a friend after my old craftsman pump blew up have has it for about 18 months Pump started to make alot of noise ran but stopped pumping 2 broken rods and the crank is toast After looking up parts it would have cost more to rebuild it So went to Harbor Freights and picked up there Cast Iron v-Twin 5 hp Pump because my Electric motor said it was a 5 hp, I did the Math 14.5 Pump Pulley so i got a 4.25 Drive Pulley 3450rpm motor to turn the pump at 1011 rpm max is 1050rpm I was impressed with how fast it pumped the tanks full (i Still have the other 60 gallon tank) BUT only made it to 135psi in both tanks about 3 minutes then it stopped so i turned the PSI up to 150 that's where is want it let some air out so it would turn back on but the electric motor would not start has power every where but the motor would not run so i took it apart it was dirty inside there with Paint must have used at a body shop I cleaned everything inside looks like new motor still would not start used a hammer and tapped on the motor when i got back to the thermal switch it started sounded like the front bearing was bad so i went and got new ones replace them both the guy at the motor shop said that my thermal switch is an old stile i have to hold it in until it clicks he was right he said that I might have to under drive the Pump because the Electric motor is not a real 5 hp it's Marked SPL The motor is Overheating pops the thermal so i took his advice and install a 3.5 drive pulley to under drive it The motor gets hot but does not pop the thermal so i have been looking for a real 5hp motor maybe even a 6.4hp there are so many new motors out there to choose from i can't find any of them with good reviews most are good and bad in the same review makes you wonder, Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 6 months ago #2152 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Have an Old VY558705AJ 60 Gallon
Thanks for the post!

You are correct in that most motors today are not rated, or advertised, accurately. A 5 HP or 6 HP motor as advertised is probably more like a 1.5 HP or 2 HP motor, because the advertised horsepower is the PEAK horsepower, not the actual RUNNING horsepower. That's unfortunate and misleading. This is the case with the motor you have as it's rated "SPL", which essentially means it's not a true 5 HP motor.

A true 3 HP or 5 HP (running HP) would push the original twin-cylinder pump on the VT558705AJ unit without a problem.
You can use the smaller pulley with the motor you have, as you did, but you will get less CFM...that's the trade-off.
You can still find electric motors that will work, namely Baldor and Century/AO Smith. Just make sure you confirm the HP rating first.

- MTR

6 years 6 months ago #2159 by Superbee
Replied by Superbee on topic Have an Old VY558705AJ 60 Gallon
I have my eye on a WEG 00636OS1XCD182/4Y 6.4hp 3450 rpm 23 fl amps I can't find anything bad about them, So far looks like a motor that will work good for the New pump, What do you think?

6 years 6 months ago #2162 by MTR-Admin
That will absolutely work, but it's probably overkill to be honest.

That motor looks like a true 6.4 running HP motor, and in honesty you only really need a 2 running HP or 3 running HP to push that pump.

Even though it is more motor than you'll need, it will certainly work for you!

- MTR

6 years 4 months ago #2218 by Superbee
Replied by Superbee on topic Have an Old VY558705AJ 60 Gallon
Let you know i bought that 6.4 Weg Motor Installed it today so far Very good with the new pump I'm very impressed on how fast it can go from 0psi to 160psi About 4 mins in 120 Gallon tank

6 years 4 months ago #2226 by MTR-Admin
That's great to hear! A 6.4 HP motor is a true workhorse, so no surprise it's pressurizing the air tank that quickly. You may as well err on the side of a larger HP motor, I always say.

Glad it's up and running, thanks again for the post!

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds