Need help and advice on newly acquired 60 gallon. Brand ID and gunk in oil Q's

7 years 3 weeks ago #2034 by PaulBoon
Hi guys, this is my first post! I have very little knowledge on compressors. I first watched Eric's youtube video "choosing the right air compressor oil".

Then called and spoke to Candace who pointed me to this forum. I've never learned so much about compressors in such short time with all the videos and the support here! Thanks to all contributors!

I recently picked up a 60 gallon compressor from my shop neighbor since his downsizing. I was researching some maintenance videos which lead me here.

After watching more of the vids on aircompressorpartsonline I've decided on a few first steps before putting the compressor into action: please let me know if you have ANY suggestions as I'm still learning. Thank you in advance for all your help!

1. Identify compressor
2. replace oil and filter
3. figure out the proper filter dryer setup...

What I know so far about the compressor:
- It seems this machine was built 30+ years ago according from the date on the tank.
- It's been sitting for over 10 years without use.
- The air filter foam deteriorated to the point of collapsing on touch!
- There was still a tiny bit of water coming out of the bottom drain (about 4-5 tablespoons)
- The sight glass for the oil is completely covered in gunk and cannot see through

Question 1
How do I clean the gunk out of the oil container? I can't see into the sight glass and I'm able to scrape oily gunk with a metal stick through the fill hole. What product or cleaner do you recommend to flush out the dirt and old oil?

Question 2
Should I unscrew the sight glass and clean it? (I'm afraid that the seals may break and I don't know where to get any replacement parts without knowing the model) I was also thinking of just making a simple dipstick with markings since I can't see through the glass.

Question 3
What brand is this and where can I find more info on it.

Last Question (for now)
What other maintenance or inspection should I tackle next after oil and filter?

Thanks again for any info!

(pictures attached)

Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 3 weeks ago - 7 years 3 weeks ago #2035 by MTR-Admin
Thanks for the post Paul!

That's a heavy duty, industrial compressor you have there so if you can get it running in tip-top shape, you'll have a great compressor on your hands.

1. It's a two-stage, cast iron pump but exactly what make or model it is eludes me. It looks a lot like a Saylor-Bealle pump (model EC-5 if I had to say), but the data on the nameplate and that big "E" on the crank's bearing cover is throwing me off. You're right, finding parts for it may be difficult. Gaskets are easy enough to cut from gasket material, however, and o-rings can be obtained in nearly any size and shape.

2. As for oil, I'd recommend a straight 30 weight synthetic air compressor oil like what you can find here: Synthetic Air Compressor Oil

3. For the filter/dryer, you can usually get by with just using a gravity water filter and a coalescing particulate filter (Watts makes them); you would then install the air regulator last. If this setup still doesn't give you sufficiently dry air, you can install a belt-mounted aftercooler (something like this: Belt Guard-Mounted Aftercooler ).
This is a cheaper option than going with something like a centrifugal separator or a big, stand-alone high temp air dryer or refrigerated dryer.

- For cleaning the sludge, you can use most any kind of solvent that will dissolve oil such as kerosene or spray cleaners like brake kleen. Just be sure to drain all of it out of the crankcase before filling with fresh oil. We use Enviro safety solvent in a spray can, I spray inside the crankcase with the drain plug open until it runs clean and then suction out any remaining before adding fresh oil. This usually does a very good job of cleaning out the sludge.
You can find this product here: Enviro Safety Solvent cleaner

I hope this helps get you started, I'll leave this open for anyone else who'd like to chime in!

- MTR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds