Air Regulator Alternative?

7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #1796 by Tigurius
Air Regulator Alternative? was created by Tigurius
Hi Everyone,
I recently picked up a Makita MAC5200 air compressor (used), it's leaking from the air regulator (it also doesn't adjust pressure - though maybe because it's leaking). I found some troubleshooting elsewhere saying to take it apart and put it back together (new teflon on everything) - which is what I'm planning on doing later on.

My question is more so, because I'm a real nub at this thing, if I need to replace the regulator, do I really need to stick with the Makita branded air regulator or could I just go to my local big box store and pick up a generic one? If so what would I be looking for?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #1797 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Air Regulator Alternative?
Thanks for the post Tigurius,

You can certainly use any generic Regulator as a replacement.

I'm not 100% positive, but it looks like the Inlet and Outlet threads on this regulator are 1/4" Female NPT, and the two accessory ports are probably 1/8" Female NPT (one for your pressure gauge and the other for an elbow, pipe nipple, etc.). Typically, hand-carry units of this size have 1/4" and 1/8" threads, so if they're not metric then you can certainly use a generic regulator like our REG0250M found below:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/generic-regulator-reg0250m-p-156.html

You can use any generic regulator as long as the threads match the original. You can try to clean the original but most likely the diaphragm is warped or damaged, so replacement of the regulator is probably necessary.

- MTR

7 years 8 months ago #1798 by Tigurius
Replied by Tigurius on topic Air Regulator Alternative?
Thank you very much for the info! It was really hard to find anything that specifically said that anywhere. I'll take a look at that.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds