Need info on old Saylor-Beall compressor

7 years 10 months ago #1748 by Darel
Hello,

I am looking at buying a very old Saylor-Beall vertical compressor. I am attaching a couple of pictures in the hope you can answer a few questions for me:

1. Can you tell me anything about the pump head? Specifications? Model number and output?

2. The motor was replaced at some point with a 3/4 hp which is way too small. Based on whatever model this pump head is, can you tell me what size motor would be correct?

I have looked everywhere for info on this unit and cannot find anything, despite the fact that I have the model number and all. Any info you can give me would be great. I want to paint my car over the winter and need to get this compressor running in top shape so I can get it done. Thank you!

Darel
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 10 months ago #1753 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Need info on old Saylor-Beall compressor
Thank you for the post!

It looks familiar, but I'll have to get with my S-B rep for more information before I can accurately obtain output, specs, etc.

It looks like a fairly typical twin-piston recip pump, (single-stage). I would say you can run anywhere from a 2 HP motor to a 5 HP motor with this pump, but you're correct in saying the 3/4 HP motor is way too small.

I'll see what I can find and get back with you.

- MTR

7 years 10 months ago #1756 by Darel
Replied by Darel on topic Need info on old Saylor-Beall compressor
Thank you so much!

I contacted S-B through their website and their rep replied that it "looks like our old C-series, which we stopped making in the 1970s", but more surprisingly, he said the 3/4hp would be correct and the pump only puts out 2.5 cfm? That seems ridiculously low. I mean, one of those 12v cigarette-lighter plugin thingies puts out 2.5 cfm. One difference I've noted is that every S-B I can find on the interwebs has an air cooler (which may have been a later design upgrade, as this is very old), but also cast mounting feet. This is the only picture I can find of a S-B pump with a mounting plate like this.

I really appreciate if you or anyone else knows a little more about it. Thank you so much for your help!

Darel

7 years 10 months ago #1758 by MTR-Admin
That's interesting, as 3/4 HP does seem too low to run that pump as it's a cast iron pump. I would upgrade to a true 1.5 HP to 2 HP motor to be safe.

The air cooler (Aftercooler) is something you usually find on two-stage units only, which put out more CFM so they need more efficient cooling.

This is a smaller, single-stage pump so an Aftercooler really isn't necessary IMO. It wouldn't hurt, but I don't believe it would help much either.

Hopefully I can dig up some more info for you.

- MTR

7 years 10 months ago #1759 by Darel
Replied by Darel on topic Need info on old Saylor-Beall compressor
Gotcha, thanks. See, you learn something new every day!

I am mostly interested in the pump, as 2.5 cfm is WAAAAY too small for what I need, but this looks too big to have such a small output. I need to run air tools and do some light sandblasting and there's no way this setup will work, but if it turns out the S-B guy was wrong and it's actually larger than 2.5 cfm I'm going to consider buying it. Also, thinking about using it as a bargaining point because I can always borrow my buddy's big compressor for a week or two, and run them in tandem.

Thanks again!

7 years 10 months ago #1761 by MTR-Admin
Glad to help if I can :)

One rep I know replied and stated he wasn't familiar with this model, so that's a dead end there...

I can almost guarantee you that the output is certainly higher than 2.5 CFM for this pump. Similarly sized twin-cylinder recip pumps put out around 5 to 10 CFM (depending on the motor HP driving them), such as the few we have listed on our site at the below link:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/ku-pump-421-1102-p-397.html

www.mastertoolrepair.com/b3800-pump-b3800-p-635.html

www.mastertoolrepair.com/kellogg-321-rep...mp-x1030-p-5074.html

www.mastertoolrepair.com/new-pump-msl10-pump-p-45.html

...and the above pumps are typically mated to a 1 HP to 3.5 HP motor, so I can't imagine the S-B pump you have only puts out 2.5 CFM.

I'll dig around some more, but you may want to go back to S-B and see if they can get more information for you.

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds