Emglo Airmate AM78 HC4V

7 years 10 months ago #1702 by EHelm
Emglo Airmate AM78 HC4V was created by EHelm
My dad game me his old air compressor so I could start some wood working projects. It been sitting for a few years and when we used it on the concrete crew it would have a hard time starting up. SOmetimes we would shake it to get it going. Now it sounds real weak and then flips the reset. I have started to take it apart to clean it up, it has oil and dirt all over and I even found corn in it. My problem I have come across in disassembling it was the fan. I cant get it off the crank, seems its wedged on, I cant seem to find anything holding it on. Can I use a 3 point part puller or will the crank slide out if I tap with a rubber hammer ? Never tore done a motor but trying to save 100$. Any help, ideas, or tips would be appreciated. Thanks
Eric

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 10 months ago #1704 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Emglo Airmate AM78 HC4V
Thanks for the post Eric,

Yes, that Fan is a press-on Fan so you should be able to take some small, 3-arm bearing pullers to remove it. Applying a little heat to it first will help it along.

As for the problem it's having, it's pretty common for these higher amp motors to get started after a lot of use.

First, make sure the unit is "unloading" the excess air in the tank after it shuts off. The excess air should dump out of the Unloader Valve that's located on the side of the Pressure Switch. If it is unloading, time to move on to the next probable cause.

Make sure the oil level is sufficient and make sure you use straight 30 weight, NON-detergent oil. Compressor oil is best and is inherently non-detergent.

Thirdly, make sure the Motor/Pump Assy is bolted to the cradle correctly and is level. This is a common problem after some time because of all the vibration the unit produces.

You can read instructions on how to check and rectify this below:

Motor Realignment

Remove the motor from the unit by removing the two 7/16" nuts under the motor. Remove the supply line. Remove the cover from the motor. Loosen the two 10 mm nuts that hold the motor together. Put the motor on a flat kitchen style counter top. Twist both halves of the motor. Now, make sure that all 4 points of the motor frame touch the counter top and that there is NO rocking. Re-tighten the two 10 mm nuts being careful to not over-tighten and breaking the aluminum frame. Reassemble the plastic housing, place back on the metal saddle and install supply line and 7/16" nuts.

Hopefully this helps, if not then let me know and I'll dig a little deeper.

- MTR
The following user(s) said Thank You: EHelm

7 years 10 months ago #1705 by EHelm
Replied by EHelm on topic Emglo Airmate AM78 HC4V
Thanks so much, ill work on it tomorrow. What would be a good way to clean the motor ? I was going to take and blow it out, but would still have all the oil residue. Any good solution I can use ? and let it dry

7 years 10 months ago #1714 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Emglo Airmate AM78 HC4V
Glad to help!

Regarding cleaning the motor and its components, I would recommend using the below product (click on the link), available at most auto parts stores:

www.crcindustries.com/ei/product_detail.aspx?id=05018

Hope this helps,

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds