Air compressor stalls under load?

7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #1681 by illavitar
Air compressor stalls under load? was created by illavitar
Hi all, I'm renovating a house atm and my compressor seems to have given out on me. If I left air in the tank and started it the next day, it would begin to run sluggish and almost stall. Now it's got worse and I can't fill the tank. It will only run with the tank empty and even then starts slowing out when it gets around 1/8th full.

I heard this could be something to do with back-pressure from the tank getting into the head. Not exactly sure where to look to fix this however, seeing as it's got worse could the motor just be tired? It's had a lot of use the last few months.

I tried leaving the drain screw on the regulator open so the tank wouldn't fill, the motor runs fine. Seems to be an issue when there's pressure in the tank.

I uploaded a video to youtube of it running
. If anyone has any ideas what's wrong with it they would be much appreciated!! Cheers :cheer:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 11 months ago #1685 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Air compressor stalls under load?
Thanks for the post!

You may be right about the back pressure problem, that's a fairly common issue when you have this symptom.

There could be a few other issues causing this as well.

- The Valves in the pump head are sticking (less likely)

- You have debris in the head, discharge tube (to tank) or the check valve (in the tank) that's causing a blockage in the line

- The Motor is pulling too many amps (have an electrician check amp draw)

- The Belt is too tight. There should only be 1/2" deflection on the Belt if you press down on the center of the Belt. If it's too tight or loose, it can cause the problem you're having.

You can view some additional trouble-shooting information by reading the .pdf below:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/images/Motor_Problems.pdf

- MTR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds