air regulator replacement

7 years 11 months ago #1649 by pinkpanther46
air regulator replacement was created by pinkpanther46
I have a 5hp 25 gal craftsman air compressor and the regulator is shot and had to replace it .Sears sent me a campbell hausfield regulator MP514803AV. The old regulator had two gauges and the new one only has one. Tried to hook it up and there are two small threaded holes and two lge ones. I hooked it up with the inlet where the arrow was and outlet on opposite side. I put the gauge on the side it calls 1/4NPT high out and plugged the one on opposite side called 1/4 NPT air supply in the one that has the arrow says it is 1/4 regulated out to paint tank thats the one I had air coming in on. the one it shows the gauge on is opposite the inline I had and put rubber hose to that. Now when you turn on compressor it doesnt shut off automatically only when you shut it off and then turn back to auto as it doesnt run then but wont shut off otherwise. Anybody got one of these and know what I did wrong??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 11 months ago #1650 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic air regulator replacement
Thanks for the post!

I know exactly what you're referring to, and this is a problem with aftermarket Regulators when replacing it on this type of older Craftsman air compressor.

Do you have a unit similar to the unit on the below page?

www.mastertoolrepair.com/portable-oil-fr...152912-p-802341.html

The original Regulator, I'd bet, is part# AC-0007 and accept TWO Pressure Gauges (as you've stated): one reads Tank pressure and the other reads the regulated pressure to the hose. This is also why the AC-0007 Regulator is $85 or so.

This original Regulator is "segregated" internally so as to read the tank pressure and outlet pressure separately. Most every generic-style Regulator out there only accepts and reads the OUTLET pressure to your hose, not both tank and outlet pressure.

You can get around this. What you'd need to do is simply use the regulated pressure gauge in the new Regulator and remove the TANK pressure gauge from it (and plug it with a pipe plug).

Now, simply install a "T" fitting from one of the tank inlets (say, where your safety release valves is) and pipe your TANK pressure gauge into this "T". Here, you will have a separately location for your TANK pressure gauge and your regulated pressure gauge will be installed in the Regulator and read the pressure accurately.

I hope this makes sense. Reply if not and I'll do what I can to assist further.

- MTR

7 years 11 months ago #1653 by pinkpanther46
Replied by pinkpanther46 on topic air regulator replacement
yes the compressor I have is just like that one only is 5hp and 25 gal tank. So if I'm reading what you wrote right you want me to put the OLD regulated gauge which if your looking at front of compressor by the handle that gauge would be on which side of old one? and it would go on new regulator and put the NEW gauge just behind it with a T where the manual release is ??. Remember this I'm 70 and things just dont snap into place in my head as good as they used to sorry LOL.

7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #1654 by MTR-Admin
No worries at all, you got the idea!

Basically, you're going to "T" the Tank pressure gauge into the manifold right under the on/off pressure switch, where the Safety Relief Valve threads into.

NOTE: You may need some Male pipe nipples and pipe plugs to do the work, but of course these are inexpensive fittings you can obtain at your hardware store.

1. When you buy your 1/4" T-fitting, just remove the Safety Valve from the port in the pressure switch manifold where it's installed now.

2. Install your "T" in this port.

3. Thread your Safety Valve in one end of the "T".

4. Thread your Tank Pressure Gauge in the other end of the "T".

5. Install a Pipe Plug in the new regulator in the port you're not using (where the Tank pressure gauge would have installed).

6. Install your Regulated pressure gauge in the new Regulator.

NOTE: Make sure to use plumber's tape on all male fittings!

This will allow you to circumvent having to buy the original $85 Craftsman regulator. They sure are proud of it...

I hope this helps you. Reply and let us know if this worked for you!

- MTR

7 years 11 months ago #1659 by pinkpanther46
Replied by pinkpanther46 on topic air regulator replacement
:woohoo: you hit it right on the head. I took the pressure valve out and put line in that spot with pressure valve in middle and tank gauge on end ( have to replace the tank gauge as it is old and nasty) but then I hooked up the regulator and did what you said ,turned it on and waited and shut off about 135lbs and then kicks on about 100lbs and just sits there and waits till it needs more air . I want to thank you as I have a new air compressor again, the only bummer about it is I found the same regulator that sears sold me CH MP514803AV on ebay brand new for 15 bucks and 2 dollar shipping. Sears said they had a regulator that was compatible for me and charged 60 bucks when I got done. I had to buy about 8 bucks worth of stuff ( T and2 inch pipe so all would fit) but I am happy . Thank you again, Chuck Randall

7 years 11 months ago #1663 by MTR-Admin
Fantastic! :cheer:

I thought that would do the trick. It did cost you a bit more than if you went with our $20 regulator or the regulator on eBay you were looking at, but it's still cheaper than the OEM. There's always more than one way to skin the proverbial cat.

You're certainly welcome, I'm glad to help. Happy compressing!

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds