Rigid GP90135 Gas Powered Compressor

8 years 1 month ago #1526 by paintballdude05
Rigid GP90135 Gas Powered Compressor was created by paintballdude05
This is my second Ridgid gas powered air compressor. Check out the thread bellow for the troubleshooting and build of my last unit.

forums.mastertoolrepair.com/index.php/fo...pressor?limitstart=0

I picked up this compressor off Kijiji on March 7th for $200. The thing runs pretty good but cosmetically it's in rough shape. The throttle control cable and pump have been changed out on the unit, they are not the originals. Also, the previous owner rigged up a wooden wheel that was treaded with parts of the old tire (I'll get pictures of it, it's pretty funny). He said he was tired of getting flats so he rigged this thing up. This has caused the axle and mounts that are welded on the tank to bend since there was no longer the cushioning effect of the pneumatic tire. I don't believe the tank has been effected structurally, but it will require a new set of axle tubes to be welded to the tank. Like my first Rigid compressor, the "decompression lever" on the pilot valve is long gone. However, this time the shaft looks to be in good shape so all I'll need is a replacement part (I'll probably have to fabricate this myself).

The plan for this unit will be to look over the Honda motor to ensure it's got some life left in it, probably clean out the tank and carb. I'll also change the oil in the engine and compressor pump. The wheel mount will be fixed and I'll get a new pneumatic wheel assembly. Depending on how much my powdercoating guy wants, I think I'll be sending the tank and sheet metal to him so that he can clean it up and get it looking like new.

I'll update this thread once I start the tear down!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 1 month ago #1528 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Rigid GP90135 Gas Powered Compressor
Good deal! If the pump is seized, it's best to replace the entire pump (although parts are available).

I would say yes, you'll probably have to fabricate the toggle on the Pilot/Unloader Valve yourself as Control Devices doesn't offer it separately.

Typically the Hondas just need a carb clean; change the oil and pre-filter, and possibly check clearance on the valves if you're able to (not necessary, but good to do if you're rebuilding the unit).

As long as the tank doesn't have a hole in it, you should be good to go there as well.

I look forward to seeing it restored!

- MTR

8 years 1 month ago #1531 by paintballdude05
Replied by paintballdude05 on topic Rigid GP90135 Gas Powered Compressor
The pump seems to be good on this compressor, I'll give it a good once over to make sure.

Good point on the valves, I'll look into what's involved on both my new (to me) Honda's. I've adjusted valves in the past so I don't think it's a big deal.

Between this Rigid and the DeWalt, which unit would you say is the better one?

8 years 1 month ago #1533 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Rigid GP90135 Gas Powered Compressor
If I had to say, I'd say the DeWalt has the slight advantage. Both units are matched pretty evenly though, as both of the main components on an air compressor, the drive components (Engine and Pump) are identical on both units.

Both use the same DeWalt "KU" pump and both have solid Honda GX series engines. The only differences are the control components like the Pilot/Unloader Valves, Regulators, etc., and of course, how the units were treated by their former owners (always a variable to consider!).

The DeWalt unit has a more simplified Pilot Valve and the Regulator is a beefy, stand-alone (in-line) 3/8" Regulator that's contractor duty. It'll hold up to abuse longer than the Ridgid's components.

Hope that helps a bit!

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds