ran compressor low oil

8 years 2 months ago #1454 by Bobby
ran compressor low oil was created by Bobby
i let the oil level get low on my husky vt470000kb. loud knocking and has a point on the rotation of flywheel that produces a scrubbing sound and hard to rotate through that point on the rotation cycle. what am i likely going to find when I disassemble the pump to access damage.

Thanks

Bobby

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #1455 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic ran compressor low oil
Thanks for the post Bobby,

Most likely the Connecting Rods are frozen to the Crankshaft journals, so this is the number one problem you'll probably encounter when you disassemble the pump.
If this is the case then you can purchase the Conrods for about $33 each. You'll probably have to polish aluminum deposits left on the Crank journals from the frozen rods first, then install the new Rods.

You can find a full breakdown of this pump and a parts list at the below link:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/air-compressor-...t203003-p-17665.html

As for the scrubbing sound you're hearing at a certain point in the rotation of the pump, this is most likely an End Cap Bearing that is possibly seized, or is seizing, when it reaches a certain point in the rotation due to the lack of oil.
You'll be able to tell once you remove the End Cap and rotate the Bearing by hand to see if it's seizing or not.

But essentially, the problem will most likely be frozen Rods.

- MTR

8 years 2 months ago #1457 by Bobby
Replied by Bobby on topic ran compressor low oil
Thanks so much for your help. I have opened up the compressor and discovered that one rod (the one nearest the end cap/seal/flywheel was the damaged one, it was completely torn loose from the crank. The other rod/ piston seem to be fine. My first time to look at compressor. There are no rod bearings and you don't attach the rods to the crank with bolts? The bearings seem to be fine but I will have to reove one of them to slip a new rod on the crank. Do these bearings need to be presed on with a press?

Thanks
Bobby

8 years 2 months ago #1458 by MTR-Admin
Good to see you found the problem. You're right, these are "free-floating" rods which Campbell Hausfeld started using in recent years, so no rod bolts, caps or inserts.

Yes, you'll want to press the bearing on the crank, and if you don't have a press then you can always use a large socket the same diameter as the inner race of the bearing and take a mallet to it.

Hope this helps!

- MTR

8 years 2 months ago #1459 by Bobby
Replied by Bobby on topic ran compressor low oil
Yes you have helped. If i can get the old bearing off without damaging it then i am good to go for an inexpensive repair. If not a rod and bearing is not too bad. Thankful your company provides parts and help.

Thanks for your time and expertise.

Bobby

8 years 2 months ago #1460 by MTR-Admin
Glad to do it Bobby, and good luck!

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds