Jenny air compressor won't pressure up

8 years 2 months ago #1431 by terryddavis46
Jenny air compressor won't pressure up was created by terryddavis46
The air pressure goes up slowly to 100 psi then stops and won't go any higher and the compressor never shuts off. (what is the cut-off pressure for this model?) There seems to be a lot of air coming up from somewhere underneath or somewhere in the middle. I have replaced the head gasket and reed valves (4, 5, 6, 7,and 8 on your parts diagram for the Jenny A2G246-HC4V). Wonder where air could be coming from. Bought the compressor new and haven't used it all that much. What do the reed valves look like if they are worn out? Where all can air be escaping from. It holds the air in the tanks once it has reached some pressure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 2 months ago #1433 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Jenny air compressor won't pressure up
Thanks for the post!

The first thing I would say is to replace the Reed Valves and Gaskets, but you've already done that. Make sure the Reed Valve didn't move around or dislodge when you installed the Head.

I would do this: prepare a soapy water mixture in a spray bottle and spray all around the unit and on all parts while the unit is operating. Hopefully you can tell where the leak is occurring this way, as you will see bubbles form right away wherever the leak is.

This is the easiest place to start to pinpoint the leak. There's a chance it could be coming from the small Unloader Valve on the side of the Pressure Switch (where the 1/4" Unloader [bleeder] line is attached).

See what you get when you spray the unit down and we'll go from there.

- MTR

8 years 2 months ago #1436 by terryddavis46
Replied by terryddavis46 on topic Jenny air compressor won't pressure up
I actually didn't replace the reed valves. What do they look like when they are worn out, is it easy to tell? Also when I took it apart I noticed that there is no Gasket Plate Valve (AM3977 3941) number 8 on the parts diagram. Is that part supposed to be included in every version of the Jenny Air Compressors? Maybe I left it out when I replaced the gaskets about 8 years ago. (the compressor has not worked since then.)

8 years 2 months ago #1437 by terryddavis46
Replied by terryddavis46 on topic Jenny air compressor won't pressure up
Also there is air swirling all around the unit when it's on but is that just the cooling fan blowing air over the unit to cool it off?

8 years 2 months ago #1438 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Jenny air compressor won't pressure up
Thanks for the info and yes, most of that air you're feeling while it's running is probably just from the motor's cooling fan.

I would probably throw in new Valves & Gaskets, being they're pretty inexpensive parts.

You would need qty. 2 of the 630-116022038 Reed Valves ($2.54 each) and the FC216093003 Gasket kit ($10.40). Most likely the leak was due to the missing Valve Plate Gasket, if you're not sure it was installed when you last disassembled the pump.

This should fix you up and is certainly the first place I'd start. Let me know what you find if you install them!

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds