Need help

8 years 3 months ago #1418 by Flatsout
Need help was created by Flatsout
I have a kobalt vt 636 air compressor. It starts fine then when the gauge hits about 40-60 psi it starts to slow down. I replaced both capacitors to end up having the same result. I disconnected the tube coming from the motor to the check valve and it is fine but when I put my finger to close the hole on the pump it starts to slow down again? Is the pump needing to be rebuilt? Any help on this I would appreciate. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 3 months ago #1419 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Need help
Thanks for the post!

Can you confirm your model number? Kobalt doesn't make a vt636, but they do make a VT6361 and a VT6362. Either way, it's probably a twin-cylinder case-iron pump on a stationary tank.

There could be a couple of problems causing this issue, but the first thing I would say is look at the reed valves in the pump; there's a chance they could be sticking.

Seconly, make sure the Belt is aligned on the pulley and flywheel; there should be 1/2" deflection on the belt if you press down in the middle of the belt.

Next, take a look at the pressure switch contacts (with the unit off and unplugged of course). Do the copper contacts in the switch look burnt, or are the terminals from the motor wires and power cord wires secured onto their terminals?

Remove the Check Valve from the tank (after it's drained); does the check valve need to be cleaned or is it clogged with debris? If so, clean and re-install.

This should get you started.

If all of the above checks out, you may have an electric motor problem. It could be that it's losing amp draw and that could be caused by defective windings, motor starter switch or the like.

- MTR

8 years 3 months ago #1420 by Flatsout
Replied by Flatsout on topic Need help
Sorry yes it's a vt6361 model number. I will check the things you mention and let you know what I find out.

8 years 3 months ago #1421 by Flatsout
K the contacts don't look burnt and when I push on the belt in the middle it pushes down 3/4 of a inch down maybe 7/8? When I took the copper tube from the pump to the tank I put a screw driver down threw the hole and i feel the check valve move just putting slight pressure on it? Should I just go ahead and pull the check valve out and clean it?

8 years 3 months ago #1422 by Flatsout
I took out the check valve and inspected it.put in back and it ended up being the belt was to loose. So I adjusted it and fired it up running like a champ again. Thanks for the help

8 years 3 months ago #1423 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Need help
That's great to hear, glad I could help!

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds