Campbell-Hausfeld Air Compressor Pressure Switch

8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #1400 by skinnygringo
Hello there.
I was hoping that you could help me out with a problem/questions I have.
I have an old Campbell-Hausfeld air compressor VT611600, that I had to replace a bearing in, but as I was putting the 1/4 inch tubing back together, on a bracket on the side of the pressure switch, I broke the nipple. Inside of it, there was a small spring, and a valve that went through the bottom of the nipple, to activate a lever.
Of course the diagram doesn't really show anything for this, so I called Campbell-Hausfeld and talked to someone there, and they told me that the lever is for an overload switch. They didn't have the nipples, so I would have to buy the new pressure switch. (They sent me a Condor MDR 11/11 EA pressure switch).
I now have the new pressure switch in hand, but I have some questions.
1) The rating is labeled 80/100. Is that the correct rating for this compressor?
2) Is the overload switch built into the pressure switch? As opposed to being external like on the old switch?
3) Where the wiring is connected, there is no positive or negative designation. How is that supposed to be wired? (I see where the motor wiring goes, and where the plug wiring goes).
4) Do you have the proper nipples that I can buy for this?
Thank you for your help, and I hope that the picture are included so you can see what I am talking about.

NOTE-Sorry, but apparently my pictures will not post after trying two or three different times.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 3 months ago #1402 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Campbell-Hausfeld Air Compressor Pressure Switch
Thanks for the post!

I'm contacting the manufacturer now in regards to the original cut-on and cut-off pressures this unit is rated for. It's a single-stage unit so the max is probably 120 PSI.

What you're describing on the pressure switch is certainly the Unloader Valve; this necessary valves trips mechanically after the switch turns the unit off at max PSI, thus "bleeding" or "unloading" all of the excess air trapped in the pump head and in the supply tube, so that the unit doesn't re-start against back pressure.

On the old switch this was a brass, 1/4" compression fitting but on a lot of the newer Condor switches, the Unloader Valve is a straight (or 90 degree elbow) black, plastic "quick-lock" fitting on the BOTTOM of the switch manifold. This type of Unloader accepts a 1/4" plastic or nylon tube; you would simply push it in...it's self-locking.

You can view the various Unloader Valves we offer for various switches by clicking on the below link:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/pressure-switch...lves-c-25_2_258.html

As for wiring the switch, it's really quite simple.

You would take the black and white from the motor and connect these to the "Motor" or "Load" terminals on the switch.

The black and white wires from the power cord connect to the "Line" terminals on the switch.

Note: It doesn't really matter which black or white wires go to which terminal, as long as Motor goes to "Motor" or "Load", and Power Cord goes to "Line".

I hope this helps, I'll reply with more info as I receive it.

- MTR
The following user(s) said Thank You: skinnygringo

8 years 3 months ago #1416 by skinnygringo
Replied by skinnygringo on topic Campbell-Hausfeld Air Compressor Pressure Switch
I want to thank you for taking the time to help me out.
No need to get back with me as far as the on/off trips on the pressure switch, as I ended up buying an overload valve from you guys. (I'm just going to hang onto the pressure switch in case the original dies on me).
It's a little different than what was on the compressor, but it should work with a little bit of mods.
Thank you again.

8 years 3 months ago #1417 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Campbell-Hausfeld Air Compressor Pressure Switch
I'm certainly glad to help, I appreciate the kudos.

Please reply here if you have any other questions I can help with at all!

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds