I have a Kobalt 17 gallon air compresser 1.5 HP.

8 years 5 months ago #1333 by Kevin Williams
I have a Kobalt 17 gallon air compresser 1.5 HP. was created by Kevin Williams
It will not start only hum and kick out. The fan will rotate very slowly once or twice then it will kick out. Have tapped on capacitor covers before and would sometimes start. That does not work anymore. There is no air in the tank. It acts as if there is air there or not enough juice to get it up and going. Please Assist

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #1336 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic I have a Kobalt 17 gallon air compresser 1.5 HP.
Thanks for the post Kevin.

What is the model number of the compressor?

Most likely the Start Capacitor is bad. It's probably drained or the terminals are burnt, which can happen if the unit ran too hot or if there was a surge of voltage at one point.

I would replace the Capacitor(s) (if more than one) and this should take care of the problem.

Does it not start and hum when air is in the tank or when the tank is empty? Or does it not matter?

Also, do you hear the short burst of air from the pressure switch unloader valve after the unit reaches max pressure and shuts off? If the Unloader Valve isn't bleeding the excess air from the pump head (and supply line), it can cause this to happen.

- MTR

8 years 5 months ago #1337 by Kevin Williams
Replied by Kevin Williams on topic I have a Kobalt 17 gallon air compresser 1.5 HP.
Model # 236005 Serial # 016905 Which one is the start Capacitor? It seems to have two capacitors. And where would someone buy one of those. I purchased this compressor at Lowe's in Florence Ala. (ROLL TIDE) and it does this without any air in the tank. Will not run long enough to fill tank.

8 years 5 months ago #1338 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic I have a Kobalt 17 gallon air compresser 1.5 HP.
The Start Cap is typically the one with the lower microfarad rating. This will be denoted on the capacitor as "uF", along with a voltage.

E.g., "90uF, 250 VAC". This should certainly be marked somewhere on the capcitor.

Unfortunately, the manufacturer doesn't offer the capacitors any longer. I would contact them directly at 888-895-4549 as they may be able to direct you to a source to find the capacitor. Or, you can try Grainger or another electrical supply outlet.

But, it certainly does sound like you have have a defective start cap.

Also (just to be safe), make sure the unit isn't plugged into an extension cord.

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds