Sanborn air compressor-won't shut off

8 years 6 months ago #1299 by tg6293900
Sanborn air compressor-won't shut off was created by tg6293900
Have a Sanborn B165B500. Won't shut off, can't decide if it's the pressure switch or the regulator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 6 months ago #1300 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Sanborn air compressor-won't shut off
Thanks for the post.

Most likely you have a bad Pressure Switch. The Regulator just controls the air flow to the line (hose), it doesn't have any influence on the cut-in and cut-out functions of the compressor.

Is the compressor pressurizing up to its max pressure? I believe it's 125 PSI for this unit.

If it never gets up to 125 PSI then you either have an air leak or you have a pump problem (most likely bad Reed Valves in the head).

If it does reach maximum pressure and keeps on pressurizing, then your Pressure Switch is certainly defective, as it's not sensing the cut-off pressure correctly in order to shut the unit off, or the copper contacts inside the switch are damaged or corroded.

- MTR

8 years 6 months ago #1301 by tg6293900
Replied by tg6293900 on topic Sanborn air compressor-won't shut off
Thanks for the info., makes sense.

Tom

8 years 6 months ago #1302 by MTR-Admin
Glad to help, and if have any more questions at all, feel free to post 'em up here.

Most likely you'll end up replacing the pressure switch, if it simply doesn't automatically shut the unit off any longer.

- MTR

8 years 6 months ago #1311 by Edmaster8
Replied by Edmaster8 on topic Sanborn air compressor-won't shut off
My pump goes all the way up to 175 psi as I said. IT's a two stage type. The pressure switch starts motor when it should. But as I said when the the motor attempts to re start, it trips the breaker and shuts things down. I fixed that with the 40 amp breaker but now the red thermal reset button trips. Does anyone have an opinion on the movement of the reeds or the cracks in the place?

ED

8 years 5 months ago #1315 by MTR-Admin
Ed,

I just answered your most recent post, didn't see this until now. Refer to my reply on your most recent post.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds