Campbell WL340003A Trips Breaker

8 years 6 months ago #1293 by timin770
Campbell WL340003A Trips Breaker was created by timin770
Campbell WL340003A Trips Breaker in garage after 10 seconds. No extension cord is being used and I have used the outlet countless times over 20 years with no problems. The check valve tests OK. The starter points looked OK but I cleaned 'em up anyway while I had the chance. Both capacitors look OK visually and, although I don't have a cap tester, the continuity looks OK on both.

I've seen guys on other forums say that the unloader valve could cause this problem but I wanted to get opinions here. thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 6 months ago #1294 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Campbell WL340003A Trips Breaker
Thanks for the post!

You've already ruled out a few things I would typically mention: extension cord, check valve (back pressure) and pressure switch contacts.

I would test the capacitors just to be safe, you can do this with a simple multi meter (grab one at Radio Shack or elsewhere for $20 if you don't have one already).

Otherwise, the Unloader Valve acting up on the pressure switch can certainly cause this problem. The problem now is that you can't turn the compressor on and pump it up to pressure to find out if the Unloader is working or not.

You can remove the valve from the pressure switch and look inside to see if the seal is damaged or not; many times you'll find an o-ring seal or plastic seal inside...it's probably damaged, or you could have debris inside.

You can try cleaning it or replacing the Unloader Valve, most are available separate from the Pressure Switch; we have a variety located at the below link:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/pressure-switch...lves-c-25_2_258.html

Just choose the one that visually looks like yours.

If the Unloader Valve seal is broken or damaged, then air will [probably] constantly bleed out of it, or it won't open when the unit shuts off like it's supposed to, to discharge the excess air in the line and off of the pump head. This can certainly cause a breaker to trip.

- MTR

8 years 6 months ago #1296 by timin770
Replied by timin770 on topic Campbell WL340003A Trips Breaker
I took a second compressor and was able to charge the bad unit's tank with 50-60 pounds of pressure to test the check valve, and it seemed to be OK, so I may throw a few more bucks out there for an unloader before calling it a day. thanks

8 years 6 months ago #1297 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Campbell WL340003A Trips Breaker
I understand you don't want to put so much into this (than you already have), so I agree. Being the Unloader is pretty inexpensive, I'd give it a shot, though.

Hope it helps!

- MTR

8 years 6 months ago #1298 by timin770
Replied by timin770 on topic Campbell WL340003A Trips Breaker
oh yeah I'll gleefully try a 20-dollar part. This unit has been like an old friend to me

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds