Campbell Hausfeld compressor HL7013 help

8 years 6 months ago #1274 by bnt5
First time post on this board, very informative and nicely done website!

The reason I am posting is that I received a campbell hausfeld (HL 7013) 3hp 20 gallon compressor from my neighbor because he stated that the compressor had run out of oil and was locked up...well, since he knew I like to tear things apart and get old engines running again he thought I could revive it and use it for myself. I firstly checked that it had oil, which it did and also checked that it was locked up which it wasnt, so I looked at the electrical shutoff box and the white wires were burnt...hmmmm. I noticed that the electrical schematic on the switch cover showed where the black and white wires went and they were reversed by the previous owner or whoever messed with it? I put them in their proper terminals and went to change the oil. The site glass on the back of the piston is very hard to see inside when I added oil (maybe 4-6 oz) I noticed oil running out of the squirrel cage fan shaft area! Maybe I added too much? I cant seem to find out how much oil these compressors take since it is pretty old. Would this unit only require a very minimal amount of oil? and does oil running out of the fan shaft indicate another issue?

I would like to get this compressor running again and since this is my first compressor rebuild I am unsure what to look for. Any help would be appreciated!!

Bill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 6 months ago #1276 by bnt5
Replied by bnt5 on topic Campbell Hausfeld compressor HL7013 help
Well after much trial and error I found that the only way to get oil into this compressor is by spinning the flywheel while pouring the oil into the fill hole. The suction from the piston pulls the oil down into the lower unit. It was overflowing from the funnel, not leaking out of the fan shaft...go figure :) I got the compressor running like a charm, not bad for a freebie!!

8 years 6 months ago #1278 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Campbell Hausfeld compressor HL7013 help
Not bad at all for a freebit, kudos for getting it running again!

It's quite an old unit and I was going to say, the oil seal may be bad by now, causing the leak. But, these pumps don't take much oil that I'm aware of, maybe 8 oz total or less.

As long as you use 30 weight non-detergent compressor oil it should run like a charm.

Cheers!

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds