No Pressure on my Kobalt

9 years 3 months ago #878 by waynep
No Pressure on my Kobalt was created by waynep
I have an 80gal. 5 hp Kobalt unit. The pump went bad and I ordered a new one. I just put the new pump on and it will not build pressure. I'm not the smartest bulb on the line but if the motor turns the pump and the pump cycles should there not be pressure building in the tank? I'm assuming that the new pump is good even though it has been sitting in its box for over a year. If I pull the air line off and using another compressor put air to it, the gauges move indicating that they are okay. HELP!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 3 months ago #879 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic No Pressure on my Kobalt
Thanks for the post!

There are a few reasons why this could happen. But first, what is the model# of your pump?

- The pump isn't broken in like it should be. Typically it's a good idea to break the pump in prior to using. To do this, just cycle the unit for about 30 minutes or so, with the Discharge Tube removed from the pump head. Open the drain cock up a bit on the bottom of the tank so that it leaks constantly. This will allow the compressor to stop/start in cycle. This will help seat the reed valves in the pump. When you're done, close the drain cock and reconnect your Discharge Tube.

- You may have an air leak. Make sure no air is escaping from any fittings, couplers, drain valves, etc.. To test, just spray soapy water on every possible location on the compressor in which air could escape. This means every thread, fitting, hose etc..

- You may have an obstruction between the pump head and the tank. Make sure your Check Valve (main one-way valve in your tank inlet, in which the Discharge Tube is attached to) is opening and closing like it should and that no debris is stuck inside the check valve.

If still you don't get any pressure from the tank, then the pump may be defective or the valves may be defective.

If you can reply with the model# of the unit this will also help greatly. Reply with this info and we'll get closer to solving this problem.

- MTR

9 years 3 months ago #882 by waynep
Replied by waynep on topic No Pressure on my Kobalt
the unit is a dayleap compressor model 4508065. I found the problem today one of the heads is cracked at the fin and the air is escaping from there. I don't know how that could happen but at least the problem is identified. I'll order a new head and gasket kit and hopefully that will take care of it.

Thanks

9 years 3 months ago #883 by MTR-Admin
Glad you found the problem, thanks again for posting!

- MTR

9 years 3 months ago #884 by waynep
Replied by waynep on topic No Pressure on my Kobalt
Would you know if there is a head bolt torques and if so what it would be?

9 years 3 months ago #885 by MTR-Admin
There is a torque spec for the head bolts, it's 14 to 16 ft/lbs (or 168 to 192 in/lbs).

- MTR
The following user(s) said Thank You: waynep

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds