Hot air

9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #866 by hcubed
Hot air was created by hcubed
I have a Husky 60 gallon upright stationary air compressor, red tank version Model VH631400AJ.
Yesterday the pump started blowing hot air from one of the intake muffler/filter assemblies.
It is also taking twice as long to get to shutoff pressure, and has blown the circuit breaker as it will sometimes slow down and lug until the breaker blows.

I suspect that the hot running cylinder has a stuck valve plate, so I ordered a new piston, a ring set, valve plate kit, filter element and gasket set about an hour ago. I figure I might as well replace the piston and rings since I am have to take it apart.
Am I on the right track???

Do I need to use any type of sealer on the gaskets???
Many thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 3 months ago #867 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Hot air
Thanks for the post!

Yes, you are on the right track, so you can have peace of mind regarding that.

Most likely the problem lies in the valve plate, one or more of the exhaust valves are probably not opening and closing like they should. If the exhaust aren't opening, then you will get exhaust of of the intake filters instead of in the discharge tube and in the tank. This is a pretty common problem.

So, valves are probably the culprit.

If you have any additional questions one you install the parts, feel free to ask here!

- MTR

9 years 3 months ago #868 by hcubed
Replied by hcubed on topic Hot air
Many thanks for the speedy reply.
When the parts arrive, I'll get 'er done.
What about a gasket sealer? Should I use some? if so, what is your recommendation?
Thanks again.

9 years 3 months ago #869 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Hot air
Sure thing!

Gasket sealer isn't necessary, actually, as long as you torque the head bolts on correctly you'll be fine.

The torque spec for the Head Bolts is 250 in/lbs (20 to 21 ft/lbs). Just tighten them down in a diagonal pattern so that the head bolts down evenly.

What you can do to keep the head gasket in place while you install the head, is to rub some light grease or Vaseline on the corners of the gasket; this will keep it steady while you install it.

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds