Blowing Start Capictors

9 years 5 months ago #821 by KWiK
Blowing Start Capictors was created by KWiK
I have an Ingersoll Rand single stage 60 gallon 230 volt 3 hp single phase single stage air compressor.

We bought a CNC table that requires 95psi min to run. I had to tweak the pressure switch to make the compressor maintain a minimum of 95 psi. We blew a start capacitor within a month, and now a second one within 2 months of that.

I am trying to figure out my options.

Guessing in order of return
keep replacing capacitors $
reduce motor pulley diameter $
get a 5 hp motor $$
replace capacitor, sell compressor and get a 2 stage $$$$.

Suggestions or other options? If the only realistic option is a 2 stage, any recommendations on brands, and things to look for?

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 4 months ago #823 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Blowing Start Capictors
Thanks for the post!

Upgrading to a two-stage unit may be necessary, but first I need to know an important spec, what is the CFM usage/requirements of the CNC table?

- MTR
The following user(s) said Thank You: KWiK

9 years 4 months ago #825 by KWiK
Replied by KWiK on topic Blowing Start Capictors
Supposedly it is supposed to take 100 PSI @ 5cfm. If the psi drops below 90 ~ 95 the table shuts down. I had to adjust the switch to keep the tank above 95.

9 years 4 months ago #827 by MTR-Admin
How much CFM does the compressor put out at 90 PSI?

If the table requires 95 psi minimum and the air compressor produces at least 5 cfm at 95 psi, then an adjustment to the cut in setting of the pressure switch should work.

- MTR

9 years 4 months ago #828 by KWiK
Replied by KWiK on topic Blowing Start Capictors
The compressor says it has 11.3 @ 90 PSI. I did adjust the cut in setting and it works for about 2 months and then blows the start capacitor because it is starting the motor so often. When the table is running it is a continuous drain.

I am thinking that with a 2 stage and the higher PSI it can pump up to the motor won't be starting so often.

9 years 4 months ago #829 by MTR-Admin
Well, a compressor motor shouldn't come on more than 5x/hr typically so it sounds as if even though it says 11.3 CFM @ 90 PSI it is insufficient to run the CNC table.

It may be time to upgrade, or troubleshoot the pump to make sure it's putting out the CFM it should be. Compressor manufacturers are also notorious for over-inflating their CFM figures, so hopefully their CFM output claim is accurate.

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds