replace rings on Emglo AM78-HC4V

9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #571 by popparottz
replace rings on Emglo AM78-HC4V was created by popparottz
could someone walk me thru replacing the rings on an Emglo AM78-HC4V? Do you pull the head to expose the piston or do you open up the crankcase and go from there?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 10 months ago #580 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic replace rings on Emglo AM78-HC4V
Thanks for the post!

You shouldn't have to open the Crankcase up, no. What you need to do is simply remove the Head, Valve Plate components and the Cylinder from the Crankcase.

Once you have the Piston out from the Cylinder and exposed, just install the Rings. Make sure to stagger the Rings so that the gaps are NOT aligned.

Then, you'll slide the Cylinder over the Piston. This can be a bit difficult as the Rings must be compressed a bit as to not damage them, but what you can use is either a piece of plumbing strap (with the small holes in it) that you wrap around each Ring as you install it or a Ring Compressor (if you have one).

This should do it. Let us know if you still have trouble and I'm sure we can get you more detailed tech help.

- MTR

9 years 10 months ago #585 by popparottz
Replied by popparottz on topic replace rings on Emglo AM78-HC4V
That helped. Piece of cake. I used the plumbers tape. The rod slips right off the end of the crankshaft so the piston and rod can be removed from the top of crankcase. I put the piston w/ new rings into the bottom half of the head, slipped rod back over crank, and then installed the valve plates and reeds and the top half of the head. Thanks for your help.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds