compressor cycles easy to heavy loads

9 years 10 months ago #550 by mirvingm
compressor cycles easy to heavy loads was created by mirvingm
Sanborn MagnaForce Model #G500BPL60V Serial #K0995070

When the compressor is running and the pressure builds up it will run fine then act like it is under a heavy load then will run easy for awhile then back to a heavy load and easy again and so and so on until it reaches shut off pressure. The easy and heavy load cycle becomes more frequent as the pressure builds up. Seems to be worse in cold weather. What causes the air compressor to cycle like this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 10 months ago #551 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic compressor cycles easy to heavy loads
Thanks for the post!

This could be happening for a number of reasons.

First, if the ambient temperature is a bit cold you can try switching out the Pump oil to a 20W compressor oil as the thinner viscosity will help it start and run easier.

Second, make sure your Belt isn't too loose or too tight, you want about 1/2" deflection when you press down on it; also make sure the Pump flywheel is aligned with the Motor pulley.

Third, you could have defective/sticking Reed Valves in the pump head, or debris that's blocking airflow from the head to the tank.

I'll see if I can glean additional information from the factory rep and post it here.

- MTR

9 years 10 months ago #553 by MTR-Admin
Also, check the current from the outlet to the Motor to make sure you're getting a good electrical current. Then, test the motor Capacitors as either the Run or Start Capacitor could be losing "juice" and causing the problem. If you don't have a Capacitor tester you can use a simple Voltmeter.

Find out how to test a capacitor here:

9 years 10 months ago #554 by mirvingm
Replied by mirvingm on topic compressor cycles easy to heavy loads
I've adjusted the belt tension a few times with no change in the varying load symptoms. I will try changing the oil.

9 years 10 months ago #555 by mirvingm
Replied by mirvingm on topic compressor cycles easy to heavy loads
I checked for any blockage to the tank and found nothing. But when I started the compressor to test it, when it comes under a load it sounds like it might stall or blow a circuit breaker.

9 years 10 months ago #556 by MTR-Admin
At this point, then, I would certainly test for current/continuity between the outlet, motor and pressure switch.
There's a good change your Run and/or Start Capacitors are bad, so I'd probably test them first.

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds