How can I find new valves and rings for my compres

9 years 10 months ago #539 by PeterA
I have a compressor that I think is on it's last legs.

How can I find new reed valves for it and piston rings? All I have to go on really is the photos which I have included here. Also, I am in Australia and maybe this might be a similar pump to a Chicago Pneumatic as it has a similar logo?

Peter
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 10 months ago #543 by MTR-Admin
This COULD be an old Chicago Pneumatic unit, you may be right. I'll do some additional research on this and reply.

But, the Rings probably don't need to be replaced, unless you have vertical score marks on the cylinder walls. I would take the Head and Valve Plate off and turn the Flywheel by hand to move the Pistons up and down; this way you can look at the Cylinder walls.

This is the only reason you'd need to replace the Rings, and if you're getting any oil in the Head and in the Air Tank; otherwise, your Rings are fine.

Most likely the Valves and Head just need to be cleaned up and Gasket replaced. I highly doubt parts are available for this (not sure yet) but you'll probably need to clean the Valves and Valve Seats (and the Head) and hand-cut Gaskets from Gasket Material.

- MTR

9 years 10 months ago #545 by PeterA
Thanks that would be great.

9 years 10 months ago #552 by MTR-Admin
Peter,
No one in my contacts has any clue as to who Consolidated Pneumatics is (or "was", more accurately). I traced it down on Google and they were a Scottish manufacturer, you can find some info on it at this link: www.fraserburghheritage.com/default.asp?page=15

I'm sure all Parts are obsolete so it'll warrant you having any parts you need fabricated. However, I'm still thinking the Valves, Head, etc. just need a good cleaning and new Gaskets cut from gasket material.

Thanks for the post anyhow, it's an interesting compressor you have there!

- Eric

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds