Clicking noise - losing pressure

9 years 11 months ago #487 by pete13865
Clicking noise - losing pressure was created by pete13865
I have a Kobalt upright 30 gallon air compressor model 103798.

It makes a clicking noise after it reaches pressure and loses pressure. I have taken the regulator out and wiped it off and put a new light layer of lubricant on it. This did not change the condition. It still makes the clicking noise and loses air.
Is the problem the regulator? Or the solenoid?...or something else??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 11 months ago #488 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Clicking noise - losing pressure
Thanks for the post Pete,

This is the digital display model so it's a bit difficult to diagnose without having it physically, but yes it could be the solenoid block, which is on the breakdown if you click on the below link:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/kobalt-parts-103798-p-4518.html

But the problem could also be the Check Valve (part# 13 on this breakdown: www.mastertoolrepair.com/kobalt-parts-kl...9-103798-p-4517.html ). If the Check Valve leaks it will cause the tank to empty air.

You may want to contact the manufacturer directly at 888-895-4549 as a technician may need to do some further diagnosis on this unit.

- MTR

9 years 11 months ago #490 by pete13865
Replied by pete13865 on topic Clicking noise - losing pressure
Thank you for your reply. This past weekend I ordered a regulator and solenoid and hope to recieve those later this week. The check valve being the problem makes sense.

However, it appears that this can not be ordered separate from the manifold. I do not want to invest $150 into a manifold just for the check valve.

Any help on locating just the check valve? The Item 13 shown in the separate link shows an image of something other than the check valve, it looks like a pressure relief valve maybe. Part# CTD3812

9 years 11 months ago #492 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Clicking noise - losing pressure
You're right, the CTD3812 is the correct Check Valve (#13) for this model. It's a 3/8" Compression x 1/2" MPT Check Valve.

This is a very common problem and certainly would be good to replace if the tank loses pressure after it shuts off.

Hopefully the parts you ordered will take care of the problem, let us know if they do!

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds