air compressor motor pulley

10 years 4 weeks ago #403 by chip
air compressor motor pulley was created by chip
i have a 5hp air compressor motor that came off a air cooled air compressor just bought a 3hp cast iron compressor pump from harbor freight,need to know what size pulley would go on the compressor motor can anyone help? p.s im putting this together on a 80 gallon tank.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 4 weeks ago #404 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic air compressor motor pulley
Thanks for the post!

It really depends on:
1. What the RPM range of the new Pump is & diameter of the Flywheel.
2. What the specs on the Motor are.

If you can take a photo and upload the specs on the motor label or just type them out here (RPM's, Amps, Frame size [FR] that'll certainly help.

There is an easy formula you can use to find out what size Pulley you need. You'll just input the diameter of the Flywheel, RPM of the Pump, RPM of the Motor, and it gives you the target size for the Pulley you'll need to achieve the correct RPM's on the pump.

If you reply with this info I can easily confirm the Pulley size you'll need. You want to be accurate as you don't want the pump to spin too fast (you'll wear it out) or too slow (lower CFM output).
Thanks!
- MTR

10 years 4 weeks ago - 10 years 4 weeks ago #405 by chip
Replied by chip on topic air compressor motor pulley
okay,the pump rpm is 1050,the pump pulley is 12.5 inch,the motor rpm is 3450 i can get you the other info for you, have to get back to you.okay got more info the motor reads hz60,rpm 3450,fr 56z.

10 years 4 weeks ago #408 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic air compressor motor pulley
Thanks Chip.

What you'll need is an 3.8" diameter Pulley. I don't think you should go larger as it'll spin the pump faster, but it'll wear it out quicker as well.

So to be safe, I'd install a Pulley no smaller than 3.5" but no larger than 3.8" or 4" (MAX).

Hope this helps!
- MTR
The following user(s) said Thank You: chip

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds