emgloAM78 HC4V hard starting

10 years 1 month ago #397 by orwake
emgloAM78 HC4V hard starting was created by orwake
I have an Emglo AM78 HC4V. Intermittently, on startup with no load,( good circuit, no extension cord, etc.) it acts like the "little engine that could... sorta" , then either runs fine or blows the onboard breaker. It helps when I fuss with the pressure switch contacts, but not a good way to go when I am up on the scaffolding. Wondering if this is a problem with just the pressure switch or could it be a capacitor or something else in the pump? Also, do I need to use a Furnas ($40)replacement or will a LeFoo ($15) work fine?

Thanks,

Orin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #398 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic emgloAM78 HC4V hard starting
Honestly, the Lefoo switch will probably be just fine. It's not a high-voltage unit and doesn't pull a massive amount of amps so you'll be alright. Just don't run it on an extension cord (like you mentioned, that causes problems for compressors).

As for the problem it's having, I bet anything it's a Capacitor that's going out or is defective. This is very common after some time. It has a stud on one end with a nut that holds it onto the motor frame. You may want to test the capacitor first (handy link to instructions on how to do this, below) but I bet this is the problem. Especially if it's cold outside or if it hums when you turn it on.

Also, you may want to use a thinner (20 weight) compressor oil, this will help.

Installing an Inlet Filter like our SmartStart filter helps ease start-up as well, as this puts negative pressure on the pump head, found at the below link:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/smart-start-air...er-aic38-p-1541.html

Hope this helps!
- MTR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds