Gas Powered Compressor motor stalls at 120 psi

10 years 1 month ago #348 by eyoshimoto
I just inherited a Sanborn 165TG51B-8 gas powered air compressor. It has a 5 hp Briggs and Straton motor. Works and runs great except for the fact that the motor is killed at 120 psi. Is this normal? I thought these were supposed to idle down when the pressure hits a certain level and crank up as pressure drops.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 1 month ago #351 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Gas Powered Compressor motor stalls at 120 psi
Thanks for the post!
Well you're right, the unit is supposed to idle once it reaches its max pressure (120 PSI). The motor will typically dip down to about 1,250 RPM (it varies by engine of course) and should remain in idle until it's called for air again, usually around 90 PSI, which it will then kick in to high gear again.

If it dies at idle, I'd check two things:
1. Adjust the idle speed on the engine itself; usually this is a screw located near the carburetor.
2. Faulty Idle/Throttle Control Valve. This may not be kicking the engine to idle when it reaches max PSI. This part connects from the Pilot/Unloader Valve (large, hexagonal valve installed in the tank, the "brains" of the unit) to the engine governor. Find out if the line connecting the two is a cable (usually a metal cable in a black, plastic sheath) or if it's a hollow, plastic tube. It simply may not be actuating the throttle plate to kick it down to idle, or it just needs adjustment.

My bet is on the engine idle speed setting, though. You may want to simply take the carb apart, clean it very well with carb cleaner, re-install it, and adjust the idle screw (clockwise) until it doesn't stall out.

Hope this helps!
- MTR

10 years 1 month ago #353 by eyoshimoto
Replied by eyoshimoto on topic Gas Powered Compressor motor stalls at 120 psi
There is a small hollow tube that comes from the unloader valve that goes to a throttle valve. When the tank pressure hits 120psi it blows air through the tube that moves the throttle to a position that kills the engine. It stays in this position until I release the tank pressure. Then the throttle valve is released and the throttle moves back to a position that the engine can be started again. The previous owner probably had a problem with this because he hooked up an additional tank to increase volume(30 gallon).

10 years 1 month ago #354 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Gas Powered Compressor motor stalls at 120 psi
I see, in this case I'm sure the engine throttle just needs to be adjusted, as it sounds like the Pilot Valve and Throttle/Idle Cntrl Valve are doing their respective jobs.

If you're not sure how, you can contact Briggs & Stratton directly at 800-444-7774 and I'm sure one of their techs can easily assist you.

Thanks again!
- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds