California Air 10020C Issue

3 years 4 months ago #3466 by Tk86
California Air 10020C Issue was created by Tk86
Hello, I have an air compressor from California Air Tools, Model 10020C.
I've been using it for about 18 months almost daily and now the compressor stops during use.
It stops after 20-30 minute use and needs to cool down for over 30 minutes before I can use it again.
Are there any part replacement or maintenance I need to do to prevent the compressor from overheating too fast?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 4 months ago #3467 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic California Air 10020C Issue
This sounds as if there is a thermal overload switch cutting out. As per the serviceable parts, I do not see this as a replaceable part.
The question is why is it overheating. Since this is an oil free air compressor, there isn't a whole lot that would cause it to overheat other than the following:
-Clogged air filters
-Clogged check valve (item 67)  mastertoolrepair.com/ultraquiet-oilfree-...0020c-p-1218338.html
-The stator and the rotor could be rubbing together if the unit was dropped.

3 years 4 months ago #3468 by Tk86
Replied by Tk86 on topic California Air 10020C Issue
Thank you for the reply.
The unit was stationary and wasn't dropped so I would like to check the first two options.
I have cleaned the air filters but how do I clean possibly clogged check valve? which parts do I need to remove in order for me to be able to check for possible clogs in check valve?
Thank you.

3 years 4 months ago #3469 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic California Air 10020C Issue
You would need to remove the transfer tube that fees into the check valve. There is a rubber cup and spring inside of the check valve. Look for any obstruction in that and the transfer tube. Is the unit still producing the same amount of air that it once did? If it is, then it is probably a motor issue, yet what is causing the resistance for the motor? The capacitor could also be bad. We have a test on how to test your capacitor here:  mastertoolrepair.com/how-to-test-capacitor-p-19193.html
Another test would be to test the check valve:  mastertoolrepair.com/howto-test-check-valve-p-22524.html

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds