Old Gas Driven compressor identification and parts.

4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #3434 by Chris1573
Hi All,

I have just bought a Gas compressor and need help to identify it. The 150 Litre tank was added a few years ago so I don't know whether the compressor pump is Ingersol Rand or not. It runs well enough and gets up to 150PSI in about 3-4 minutes (150L Tank) it is driven by an 8HP Honda however there is no throttle control and this is something I would like to sort out. What parts do I need to do this ?

Its looks like there is already an unloader valve for the Pump Cylinders so I guess I would need to add another and a throttle actuator ?

TIA.

Chris.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 2 months ago #3447 by MTR-Admin
Thanks for the post, Chris.

It does look like this unit has head unloaders...I can see the unloader line that routes from the brass pilot/unloader valve (coming out of your tank) to the pump head.

You should just need a Throttle/Idle Control. A typical type of Throttle Control is the "bullwhip style", which mounts on nearly all Honda engines. You would just need to choose the length of the cable and the horsepower rating:

mastertoolrepair.com/bullwhip-cable-styl...controls-p-3106.html

I have no idea what the pump is....it's a dinosaur but looks well made.

- MTR

4 years 2 months ago #3448 by Chris1573
Thanks MTR....

Would this throttle also work or is the Bullwhip the best option ?

mastertoolrepair.com/airline-throttle-co...0fol12hks1aar8b9eq7k

Chris.

4 years 2 months ago #3449 by MTR-Admin
Sure thing. You can probably use this Airline Throttle Contol Valve on that Honda engine, I'd imagine. It's an older GX series engine but I don't see why not, as long as you have the required holes in the throttle plate.
You can actually see some installation instructions on how to install this type of Throttle/Idle Control Valve by clicking on the below link:

The Valve body itself "clips" into a hole in the throttle arm plate and a clamp holds the body onto the engine. Then, a hollow nylon tube attaches to the brass pilot/unloader valve.(via 1/4" compression fitting).
I hope this helps.

- MTR

4 years 1 month ago #3450 by Chris1573
Thank you MTR. I will order the parts.

I am going to change the oil on this compressor, and i'm guessing you drain it out then refill to half way up the sight glass at the bottom of the compressor case ? Would Sealy Compressor oil be suitable as I have some for a small compressor in my workshop. ? Thanks/

4 years 1 month ago #3451 by harleydude
Does it work? If so, when the tank fills to pressure, does the Honda motor go to idle or does the excess air blow out of some port to prevent the air compressor from over pressurizing?
More info needed.

Tools make life easier...

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds