Compressor Oil Help

4 years 2 months ago #3417 by Aj570
Compressor Oil Help was created by Aj570
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have searched for a thread but cant find anything specific.

I have just bought a 3hp 100 litre belt driven compressor second hand. I dont know much about them but thought before I use it, I'd drain the oil and replace with the correct amount. Anyway there was very little oil in it and it didn't show in the sight glass.

So after draining it, I began to fill it again but it was not showing in the sight glass still. I have put more than enough oil back in to at least get a slight register and I have even tilted the machine to see is i can get a reading but nothing. When I started it up, it started spitting oil out of the filler cap, and I mean quite a bit was spitting out.

I know this could be due to worn rings or overfllling but without getting a reading, I dont know for sure.

It runs and fills quickly and there are no noises other than the motor so I really dont know why I cant get a reading.

Is.anyone able to shed a bit of light on what the issue might be?

I'm not too worried about it because the price I paid was really good, so if I needed to buy a new pump assembely I wouldnt be too bothered because it would still work out far cheaper than buying new. Plus I'm doing my bit for the environment with the fix before replace attitude. Plus I am really pleased with the performance despite this issue.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 2 months ago #3418 by harleydude
Replied by harleydude on topic Compressor Oil Help
It sounds as if the oil site gauge is cloudy preventing you from detecting the proper amount of oil thus overfilling it and the oil is coming out of the breather and everywhere else. Do you have a picture of the pump?

Tools make life easier...

4 years 2 months ago #3420 by Aj570
Replied by Aj570 on topic Compressor Oil Help
I've tried uploading this video to show the problem but it's not allowing me due to the format.

The glass is cloudy but not to the extent of not being able to see through it. The picture looks far worse than it actually is

Attachments:

4 years 2 months ago #3421 by Aj570
Replied by Aj570 on topic Compressor Oil Help
Hopefully this will now upload
Attachments:

4 years 2 months ago #3422 by harleydude
Replied by harleydude on topic Compressor Oil Help
Yep, you have over filled it. It shouldn't take more than a quart of so of oil.

Tools make life easier...

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds