Hums then blows breaker

4 years 5 months ago - 4 years 5 months ago #3361 by Maverick1
Replied by Maverick1 on topic Hums then blows breaker
I can spin the motor freely by hand from either end..theres a clutch with springs on one end then a fan blade attached to an air piston on the other end.This is with zero air in the tank.It had some air left in the tank and lines when i first started pulling things apart.i let some out of the bleeder valve and like i said some came out of the check valve when i first loosened it

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 5 months ago #3362 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Hums then blows breaker
If you can turn it by hand and there is no air in the tank, and it still blows the breaker, then it should not be the check valve. You have pretty much covered all of the basics for this unit.
If you remove the supply tube that leads to the check valve from the pump so that no air goes into the tank and it still blows the breaker, then you have an electrical issue. At this point, it is too hard to diagnose without having the unit in front of me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Maverick1

4 years 5 months ago #3363 by Maverick1
Replied by Maverick1 on topic Hums then blows breaker
Line removed still blows breaker so must be electrical like you said.Thanks for the help.

4 years 3 months ago #3401 by RElliott87
Replied by RElliott87 on topic Hums then blows breaker
Hello Maverick1,
My guess is that this motor might have a "Centrifugal Switch". We used to have a bench grinder that had a Centrifugal Switch, and it would just hum, we had to actually manually spin the thing when we turned on the motor so that it would begin to operate. Try turning on your compressor and maybe give the shaft a spin. Careful for your hand placement, as this can be dangerous if you don't do it with caution.

4 years 3 months ago #3403 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Hums then blows breaker
Good point, it could be the centrifugal switch or just the contacts on the switch.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds