Did I buy a duffer

4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #3346 by Schmores
Did I buy a duffer was created by Schmores
Hi,

I've just bought a used Clarke compressor from a listing site (for a knock down price) and it seems to have a couple of issues. Was hoping for some advice and to know if I should bin it or if it's worth saving.

1) the pump seems to have been replaced and when I got it this one was filled to the brim with black oil. I'd assume not compressor oil. I have drained and partially stripped it down and though it makes a bit of a clunk at each maximum of the two cylinders they both look to be in decent knick and there's no scratches or pitting on the bores. Is this noise anything to worry about?

2) The valves are all a bit rusty. I've cleaned them up as best I can with some engine cleaner but they are still a bit rusty, should I just replace them all?

3) The bottom of the tank has some surface rust on it so I took my scope and had a look in the tank. There is definitely some rust but much of the tank looks like clean if very uneven metal, more worrying is that there appears to be a coating of the attached inside. Looks to be a mix of rust, water and I'd assume oil, looks very much like the mayo you get in a car with a head gasket leak but with added rust. I'm guessing this and the new pump are related...

Is the tank a write off or can I remove this gunk and crack on? I was planning on hydro testing it and was thinking I could possibly add some detergent to the water to dissolve this mess and kill two birds with one stone.

The machine is a 2016 so it must have taken a pasting to get into the state its in but I'd rather save it if possible, it seems a shame to bin it as its a large 200l industrial machine and ideal for my needs.

Helps most appreciated.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 4 months ago #3347 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Did I buy a duffer
All tanks will have some rusty water discharge. It would be rare to have a rusty tank after 3 years.
If you have cleaned up the valves and they are not cracked, then you can simply reinstall them.
As to the clunk, that could be a wrist pin or a connecting rod issue. Put some compressor oil in it to the proper level and let her rip.
Do you have a picture of the pump?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds