15 gallon 5 hp Husky air compressor WL651003AJ

11 years 6 months ago #29 by lloyd turner
The unit runs for about 4 seconds then shuts off. If I wait a few minutes and try again, the same thing happens. Any ideas on what the culprit is?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 years 6 months ago #30 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic 15 gallon 5 hp Husky air compressor WL651003AJ
This could happen for any number of reasons, but many times this is caused either by the Check Valve in the inlet of the tank, or an electrical issue.
First, make sure the brass Check Valve in the tank is opening and closing like it should. There could be debris inside the valve which will cause this to happen.

You can try this test first, there's a video and a text doc on our site which will show you how to perform this simple test.
Just click here: www.mastertoolrepair.com/how-to-test-check-valve-p-22524.html

You may also want to take the cover off of the motor and make sure the piston moves up and down in the cylinder by hand, confirm that the conrod bearing is in good shape.

You can view much more technical trouble shooting docs on our site at the below link as well:
www.mastertoolrepair.com/air-compressor-...310_485_486_488.html

Thanks for the inquiry!
- MTR
The following user(s) said Thank You: lloyd turner

11 years 6 months ago #34 by lloyd turner
Replied by lloyd turner on topic 15 gallon 5 hp Husky air compressor WL651003AJ
I totally disconnected the check valve from the unit by removing the hose going to the pressure switch and the pipe coming from the output of the the compressor. Same defect was noted: runs for a few seconds and stops. The check valve is located on the topside of the unit. I also verified that the piston moves by hand. Thank you for your suggestions,as I thought they were excellant. However, I think the problem may be the pressure switch assy?? Any more inputs would be appreciated.

11 years 6 months ago #36 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic 15 gallon 5 hp Husky air compressor WL651003AJ
You could be right about the Pressure Switch being the problem, certainly. It could be the copper contacts in the switch are not working probably, or there could be a short. You can probably test the switch with a volt meter, or have an electrical supply or motor repair shop test it for you.

Most likely the problem lies with the pressure switch or the motor since you already ruled out the other options.

You can check out some helpful trouble shooting documents on our website by clicking on the below link, which will possibly help you futher:
www.mastertoolrepair.com/air-compressor-...310_485_486_488.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: lloyd turner

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds