Air compressor leaking a breather.

10 years 3 months ago #269 by emglo1
Air compressor leaking a breather. was created by emglo1
Hi,
I have a 8 gallon Emglo wheelbarrow style air compressor. I hear air coming out the breather after the unit is pressurized and shut off. Also my brand new honda gas engine needs to idle at a higher RPM so it does not stall. I'm thinking there is excess pressure on the compressor. Is there a problem with my valves? I just cleaned the whole thing and put in all new gaskets and removed and cleaned all the valves. This unit had this same problem before I did any work on it. It pumps up to 125psi but then when shut off it also leaks air out the air cleaner. Thanks for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 3 months ago #272 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Air compressor leaking a breather.
Thanks for the post!

First, we want to make sure the head Unloaders are lubricated. This is a moving part with O-rings so want to make sure it is lubed and free moving. If the Unloaders are okay we want to make sure the valves were installed correctly. If they were somehow mixed up we could have these symptoms as well. The thinner springs are the Intake valves, the thicker springs are the Exhaust valves. My personal opinion is going to be the Valves/Unloaders are either not in correctly or they are just not sealing.

Let us know if this worked for you or not, if not we'll get the answer.
Thanks!
- MTR

10 years 3 months ago #275 by emglo1
Replied by emglo1 on topic Air compressor leaking a breather.
Thanks for getting back to me. The valve springs are in correctly thick on exhaust and thin on intake. the intake valves were ground using grinding compound they really look like they are seating nicely. The unloaders up top are lubed and I put new orings on them. I also cleaned the passage between the unloaders. Is it possible the intake and exhaust springs are weak? What else can I look at? Thanks Bob

10 years 3 months ago #279 by MTR-Admin
I asked a manufacturer rep, and he said that IF the valves are used then it's possible that over time and in the amount of heat that they endure that the springs may be worn out. If they are brand new then we have an issue with the valve plate and where the valves seal.

Are the springs are worn or too weak then it could certainly explain the issue.
- MTR

10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #280 by emglo1
Replied by emglo1 on topic Air compressor leaking a breather.
Update: I pulled all the valves again and stretched the springs out and this has completely stopped the air leaking out the air filter, but when the tank is pressurized and the motor is off the air breather is leaking slowly. Also when the tanks are up to pressure the new gas engine stalls when it kicks down to idle speed. When the gas engine runs on idle should the compressor not have a load on it while the flywheel is turned by the idling engine? Please help thanks. Bob

10 years 3 months ago #281 by MTR-Admin
Well, the tank is obviously back-feeding pressure through the Discharge Line and to your pump, out of the air filter.
To prevent this I was certainly recommend you install a Check Valve in the tank, which the Discharge Tube will thread into. Right now you just have an adapter, no check valve; this will ensure that it keeps the air in the tanks after shut-off/idle.

I assume it's a flare-style fitting so if you click on the below link you can find these on our site:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/check-valves-fl...ctf-style-p-246.html

I think this would take care of it. As for the engine stalling when the tanks are pressurized, I think you just need to adjust the idle screw on the engine, it seems the RPM is set too low.

If still the problem persists, I'd really recommend speaking with a helpful tech at Emglo direct, you can contact them at 888-425-3669.

- MTR
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: emglo1

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds