Pumps & Horsepower

4 years 10 months ago #3121 by jrj2
Pumps & Horsepower was created by jrj2
Good morning, I have an older Craftsman 6hp single stage compressor (919.175260) that has been an awesome workhorse for some 30 years. I wore out a pump quite a few years ago and replaced it. Last weekend, the pump died after many more years service. Apparently, these pumps are now obsolete. I have looked at a Shultz MSL 18 that I think I can make fit. The pump claims replacement on 2, 3, or 5hp units. My question is can I use this pump with my 6hp electric motor ? The motor turns 3450 rpm. I realize a change in pulley size on the motor will be in order. Thank-you for your time & input.

-- jrj2 --

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 9 months ago #3459 by jrj2
Replied by jrj2 on topic Pumps & Horsepower
This is me, again. I never did get any replies to this question and now have the answer. Yes, it does work. A bit of retrofit was required and the drive pulley on the motor had to be changed to match the rpm requirements of the Shultz Pump. I'm not so sure about the "great improvements" in the amount of CFM's available, but it does have every bit as much air as originally. This pump has been going strong for at least 200 working hours with no issues at all.
jrj2

3 years 9 months ago #3460 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Pumps & Horsepower
I'm sorry that you didn't get any reply. I didn't see your original question, but kudos to you for making it work! Basically as long as you have the HP to drive the pump, you can make these units work with other brands of pump.
Good job!

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds