New pressure switch-air leak?

4 years 11 months ago #3100 by Toolydave
Replied by Toolydave on topic New pressure switch-air leak?
I have a similar problem--I installed a new switch and suspected it is leaking. To confirm the leak, I swabbed some soapy water (bubble solution that our granddaughter plays with) around the area where new switch is screwed into the compressor tank. Sure enough, there are bubbles. Now I am trying to decide if I should try Teflon tape (as suggested above) or use a liquid sealant/adhesive on the threads (Porter Cable Helpdesk told me that the compressor was manufactured with a sealant on this switch, so per this forum's advice I successfully removed the old switch after applying heat with a heat gun. See other thread.

I hope this helps OP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 11 months ago #3102 by skatingtoolman
Replied by skatingtoolman on topic New pressure switch-air leak?
Either several wraps of Teflon tape or pipe sealant works. We use Teflon tape in our service department. The manufacturer uses sealant on their pressure switches only because where they buy the pressure switches from, it has already been applied. It is dry by the time they get the part and when it gets screwed onto the tank, the friction from the torque re-liquifies the sealant, sealing the threads.

It's your call.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds