Emglo compressor bogging down

4 years 11 months ago #3059 by dep14
Emglo compressor bogging down was created by dep14
Hello,
I recently purchased an Emglo wheeled portable oil-bath air compressor. It has a 1.5 hp electric motor that powers a K model pump. The unit ran, but produced smoke, and it was starting to bog down, by this I mean start normal, then start to slow then eventually stop. (approximately 15-20 minutes once turned on).

I replaced one of the pistons and its corresponding rings, as well as cleaned the intake and exhaust valves and changed all the gaskets and the oil. I also added unloaders valves to the head assembly (there were no valves, but there were two empty spaces).

I added a check valve and a pressure switch and replaced the pilot valve and a gauge. (all parts purchased from Master Tool Repair)

Once I had this done, the pump ran like a fine, no more smoke and no more bogging down. However, after a few weeks it started to have trouble starting. After turning the switch on the motor would just hum. I would give the wheel a bit of push and it would start to spin; but it would soon bog down. When it finally stops the electric motor would hum, and sound like it wants to work, but the pump stopped pumping. I replaced the start and run capacitors on the electric motor, no change.

I removed the belt and the motor started and ran fine on its own. I reconnected the belt and disconnected the copper tubing that came from the pump head to the tank, and the pump ran fine (pumping air out of the tubing).

I reconnected the copper tubing and opened the two drain cocks, located under the two tanks, and the pump ran, but a bit slower than usual (but it did not stop).

I’m at my wits end… any idea?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 11 months ago #3061 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Emglo compressor bogging down
Let me think on this one. You have done all of the right things.
How old is the unit? What is the model and serial number?

4 years 11 months ago #3067 by dep14
Replied by dep14 on topic Emglo compressor bogging down
I don't know exactly how old it is, I can tell you that the guy I got it from had it for 10+ years. It was in his shed, he used for minor stuff like tires and such (because of the smoking issue).

I believe it is a K15A-8P I'll have to get back to you with the serial #.

4 years 11 months ago #3068 by skatingtoolman
Replied by skatingtoolman on topic Emglo compressor bogging down
When you say it "smoked", what is smoking? Where is it coming out of?
What does the smoke smell like?

4 years 11 months ago #3069 by dep14
Yes it was smoking. The smoke was the result of 'blow-by" which was coming out of the head. This went away after I replaced a worn piston, rings and gaskets.

4 years 11 months ago #3071 by dep14
Serial #: A051591098

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds