Electric to Gas conversion

10 years 3 months ago #259 by Cause4panic
Electric to Gas conversion was created by Cause4panic
I was given a brand new Speedaire ME98 compressor. The electric wiring (buried in concrete) will not support a 5 hp motor, let alone the fact the provided motor is 3 phase. My wiring will barely power a craftsman special as it will trip the breaker when the compressor gets hot. Is it possible to mount a 6.5 hp gas engine, pipe in a pilot operated unloader valve for a compressor without bypass valving, and provide a throttle operator valve?

Thank you,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 3 months ago #260 by Cause4panic

10 years 3 months ago #261 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Electric to Gas conversion
It certainly is possible to convert it over to a gas-powered unit. Doing this is actually pretty simple, once you have the Engine & various parts.
You won't need much:
1. Engine
2. Piloted/Unloader Valve: www.mastertoolrepair.com/pilot-unloader-...lves-c-25_3_682.html . * The "BG1" style Unloader would probably work for you, just choose your PSI settings for cut-in PSI and cut-out PSI. You'll just pipe in the small Bleeder Line in one of the ports and the Throttle Cable into the other 1/8" port.
3. Throttle/Idle Control Assy: www.mastertoolrepair.com/air-compressor-...ontrols-c-25_78.html . You can use a cable-style or a pneumatic-style that just uses a hollow, 1/4" nylon tube. Either way it'll install. Just choose the part by horsepower rating & length of cable (if using the bullwhip-style).

You obviously may have to change some plumbing fittings here & there, or drill a few holes for the engine, but that's simple stuff. Once you set the high-speed and idle RPM on the engine (once everything is hooked up) you should be off to the races!

Hopefully this gives you enough info to start. Reply if not.
Thanks!
- MTR

10 years 3 months ago #262 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Electric to Gas conversion
So, of course you would install the Pilot/Unloader Valve in the tank Inlet where the Pressure Switch is now. The Transfer Tube would remain in the main tank Inlet where it is now.
- MTR

10 years 3 months ago #263 by Cause4panic
Replied by Cause4panic on topic Electric to Gas conversion
Thank you for the assistance, I will def be reaching out to you guys.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds