E.L. Smith Air Compressor Stalling

10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #256 by MeowsWows
E.L. Smith Air Compressor Stalling was created by MeowsWows
I have an E.L.Smith Air compressor as follows; Model # JV230A200-60H Serial # 18591A 60 GAL.

The compressor has a 2hp single phase 240volt motor on it with to heads and

4 pistons. When the compressor gets to 40 PSI the motor starts bogging down and ready to stall. It doesn't trip the overloads (bypassed the motor

starter) on the motor starter nor the breaker, I guess I shut it off before it does. I am an electrical contactor so we megged the motor out it checks good, we also had the run and start capacitors check, they are good. I changed the check valve going into the tank. I pulled the heads and cleaned and made sure I put all the parts back together the same way I took them off. The only thing I didn't do was check to two filters I will do that in the morning. I pulled the end cup off and checked one side to see the bearings. I am going to change them ASAP. Please help I am going nuts trying to figure out what is wrong. What am I missing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

10 years 3 months ago #257 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic E.L. Smith Air Compressor Stalling
Thanks for the question!

It is a bit odd I'll admit, as you took the right steps in first checking the Motor and Capacitors. As long as you're electrical situation checks out the problem must lie in the Pump.
Most likely you're getting either a blockage or a type of compression lock, which is causing the unit to stall, or nearly stall.

This can happen due to a bad Check Valve (which you've already replaced), sticking Valves in the head (which you've already check out), a dirty intake Filter (which you're checking out) or possibly bad crank bearings.

One more thing, make sure the Belt is aligned properly on the Pulley and the pump Flywheel, and make sure it's not too tight; there should be about a 1/2" of deflection on the Belt. If it's misaligned or too tight it can cause this issue.
Also, you need to make sure that the motor pulley and pump flywheel are not slipping (key stripped, missing or tapered flywheel not on tight enough). This can also happen if the belt is too LOOSE.

As long as these issues check out and your Motor is definitely in working order you should have no problem.

Let me know what you find with the above info given and hopefully we can narrow this down!

- MTR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds