Air Compressor Questions

5 years 3 months ago #2913 by Alex123
Air Compressor Questions was created by Alex123
Hi Everyone - This is my first post as a member of this forum. I am in the market looking for a air compressor. I will be doing automotive work at home, so I need something that can run 1/2" impact gun (up to 1000 ft. lbs.), pneumatic ratchets, cut off tools, air chisel, etc.
Also important is noise level. I live in a town home and am sandwiched in between two units. I do have a garage, but would prefer something as quiet as possible. I have looked at California Air Tools and those compressors seem to be a little on the expensive end. I'm looking for ~30 gallon tank. Since the highest consumption tool I intend on running would be the 1/2 impact, I thought I would share the compressor, and air impact I had in mind. I'm not fully set on moving forward with these, hence this post. I would greatly appreciate feedback on THIS impact wrenchthis impact wrench , and THIS air compressorTHIS air compressor .

Finally, this is a little off topic, but I have to ask. I was watching a YouTube video, and this guy said that if you truly want to get all the power the air tool is intended for, you MUST use a air hose that is equivalent to the size. For example, 1/2" impact wrench requires a 1/2" ID hose. 1" impact wrench should use a 1" ID hose.... is this true?

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 3 months ago #2914 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Air Compressor Questions
The first question is to find out the amount of cfm each tool requires to operate.
Secondly, would another person be using another tool at the same time? If so, add up the cfm of that tool as well. Once you have the total cfm of each tool added up, add 25% to that as a reserve.
Next, finding an air compressor that has that total cfm at a specific psi. This is very important. If a unit states that it produces 15cfm, you need to know 15cfm at what pressure. 15cfm at 5 psi won't do you much good.
Next you start shopping for units that fit your price range, space requirements and decibel level.

5 years 3 months ago #2924 by Alex123
Replied by Alex123 on topic Air Compressor Questions
Thanks for your reply. I'm pretty much the only person using the unit, as it is for my garage. I looked at the air tools I'm interested in buying and almost all of them are 4 to 4.5 CFM consumption @90 PSI. The only air hog is the impact wrench I'm interested in. The compressor (link provided in original post), yields 5.9 cfm @ 90 psi. The impact wrench I want is also rated at 5.9 cfm at 90 psi. Will that be a problem? Will I get the FULL power out of this impact wrench with this air compressor?

5 years 3 months ago #2925 by skatingtoolman
Replied by skatingtoolman on topic Air Compressor Questions
The air compressor would do the job, but there would be no reserve power at all.
If you connect an old air tank in series with the new one, you would at least have more reserve air to help.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds