Craftsman model 921 166 360

7 years 6 months ago #1889 by edowell
Craftsman model 921 166 360 was created by edowell
When pressure starts to build in tank oil blows from the oil fill cap out two holes in the top. Have had the compressor since it was new and never had this problem before. What may be the cause and how to fix??? Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #1890 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Craftsman model 921 166 360
Thanks for the post!

A few things first:

1. How much pressure do you get in the tank before this starts to happen?

2. Is the Oil Fill Cap clogged? Make sure air can vent through the holes at the top.

3. Does the crankcase have too much oil in it? Make sure you have the proper oil amount in the crankcase.

If two and three above check out, then you may have defective Reed Valves in the pump head. This is a cheap repair if so, as they sell for about $4.89/pair. The Valves may not be seating like they should, or they may be sticking, so as to build up too much pressure in the crankcase.

The caps usually have a series of baffles or some medium like steel wool or a piece of foam to trap oil but allow pressure to vent. If it is over-pressurizing in the crankcase it can also certainly be because of blow-by caused by worn or damaged Piston Rings.

BTW, you can find a full breakdown of this unit by clicking on the below link:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/portable-oil-ba...166360-p-746888.html

I hope this helps, and feel free to reply with more info and I'll be glad to assist further if I can.

- MTR

7 years 6 months ago #1891 by edowell
Replied by edowell on topic Craftsman model 921 166 360
I have checked the suggested items and seems the oil fill cap is B.O. Thank you for the repair suggestion!!! Saved me from trashing/buying something new. Fired unit up and all is well. Much appreciated!! :)

7 years 6 months ago #1892 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Craftsman model 921 166 360
I'm glad to help, happy compressing!

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds