220 three phase

7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #1624 by Jon K.
220 three phase was created by Jon K.
OK, first of all, I am an idiot. :) Now, with that out of the way, I need to ask for some electrical wisdom.
I obtained a 220 three phase compressor from a manufacturing facility. This is the way I got it, with the wires from the motor loose and as pictured . . . or attached, or however I can figure out how the photos work . . . .
Red, White, Black and Bare.
Please disregard the Romex, somehow that is clogging up my photo. My concern is the four wires, they go directly into the conduit and to the motor and are certainly wired correctly at the motor.
First thing I did was pull the motor off and took it to a motor guy who tested it and pronounced it fit and ready for service. Yay. Thus I know these four wires are in order.
Now reality has set in and I realize I am in over my head.
To reiterate, I have three insulated wires and one bare wire coming from the motor. I know these wires have not been monkeyed with. Motor guy said it runs just fine.
Photo below, If I did it right.
Also in the photo is the pressure switch. It has four connections.
I am fairly certain that it has not been monkeyed with either.
This compressor was absolutely running when it got pulled from service, so this should be the original wires and switch. Why they were disconnected I have no clue, other than to keep my life interesting.
Can anyone give me the idiots guide to what these four motor wires are about and how they might be switched at the pressure switch before plugging into the 220 (240?) three phase?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #1627 by Jon K.
Replied by Jon K. on topic 220 three phase
I did some poking around on the switch. The two lugs on the right are a set, the two lugs on the left are a set. So the switch will connect the two lugs on the right, and the two one the left. Simultaniously. Or disconnect them when pressure is reached.
Also found after some digging that 220 3-phase motors do not necessarily have a neutral wire. That three hot legs are sometimes used. That would seem to be my case, but that is beyond my understanding. The bare wire is absolutely a ground wire, as I can trace it back to a firm ground onto the motor chassis.
So I am wiring it up to a twist lock plug as in the photo below.
Also photographed below is a better shot of the four wires from the motor. Red Black White and Bare.
I am getting closer, but still my question about the switch. I can only break circuit on two wires when I get to pressure. I am guessing red and black.
Or do I need to break all three hot legs?

Attachments:

7 years 11 months ago #1628 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic 220 three phase
Thanks for the post!

Honestly, I would recommend contacting an electrician to check this install as there are too many variables that could cause serious injury.

Usually 220V has 2 "hot" leads colored black or red plus a "neutral" connection that is usually white. The bare wire is normally the grounding conductor that is connected to all base metal such as housings, panels, cabinets etc.

The pressure switch should break the two "hot" legs and the "neutral" is a direct connection.

Disclaimer: I cannot express the danger here greatly enough, an accurate and safe install is a requirement no matter what the cost.

- MTR

7 years 11 months ago - 7 years 11 months ago #1652 by Jon K.
Replied by Jon K. on topic 220 three phase
I got it! As suspected, the three phase has three hots and a safety ground. This motor has no, nor has it ever had a neutral wire.
MTR, thank you for your input. I have found that 220 single phase is exactly as you describe. Been dealing with single phase for years. Two hot legs and a neutral. Three phase is a whole 'nother thing.
You are absolutely correct in advising prudence. Prudence is what brought me here.
I cannot say if later motors may somehow have an actual neutral, but this one absolutely has not.
Also learned that if two of the three hots (matters not which ones) are disconnected, the motor is shut down, as the remaining hot leg has "nowhere to go" as explained to me by a smart guy. So the existing switch works just fine.
Also, of course, the motor was turning the wrong direction. Switching any two of the three hot legs will reverse the direction of the three phase motor.
In some respects, I was over thinking it.
In other respects, caution is advisable when dealing with deadly current. I believe I exercised just the right amount. :)
Thanks guys, Jon

7 years 11 months ago #1655 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic 220 three phase
This is great to hear Jon :cheer:

You are correct in re-wiring the Motor so as to rotate in the correct direction, that is as easy as switching two hot leads on the motor, so you nailed that. Most all compressor pump rotate CCW if looking directly at the Flywheel (in front of you); I expect this is true here as well.

I'm no 3-Phase expert either, so that is why I suggested great care and prudence when working with live wiring, but it's good to know that the little advice I suggested helped you in the end.

I'm glad you played it safe, and happy compressing!

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds