compressor problem

6 years 10 months ago #2070 by odis
compressor problem was created by odis
I have an 8 year old Kobalt single stage , 2 cylinders. Model #221495. Left side cylinder runs cool and sucks air in through the filter. Right side runs quite warm and blows air out through the filter, it never builds up enough pressure in the tank to shut off. Would this be caused by the Reed valve or something else. Also I noticed a little oil in the right side filter box. Thanks in advance for any replys.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 10 months ago #2071 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic compressor problem
Thank you for the post odis,

You guessed right, the problem is the reed valves. Most likely the exhaust valves, specifically, are not opening as they should to exhaust the compressed air so the air is escaping from the inlet filter (which is the tell tale sign of defective valves). This is also the reason you're getting oil in the head.
The valves are only available in the valve plate assembly, which is part# 043-0207 and includes the valves pre-installed on the valve plate and both gaskets.

You can view it on our site by clicking on the below link:

mastertoolrepair.com/portable-single-sta...221495-p-759576.html

Hope this helps!

6 years 10 months ago #2072 by odis
Replied by odis on topic compressor problem
I removed the head yesterday and the valves look fine. The inside of the plate is quite filthy, one gasket stayed intact but the other fell apart when I pried it off of the head., so that would be the top gasket and the plate looked very grungy. Could this be something else like the check valve?

6 years 10 months ago #2073 by MTR-Admin
I doubt the check valve would cause the problem you're experiencing, no. If the check valve were defective, you would only get back pressure (and hence a leak from the inlet filter) after the units shuts off, not while it's running. It's probably best to replace the valve plate assembly as it comes with new gaskets as well.
You can attempt to replace the gaskets only, but I'm betting the valves in that right head are not opening and closing as they should. A good cleaning will help greatly, as well.

- MTR
The following user(s) said Thank You: odis

6 years 9 months ago #2087 by odis
Replied by odis on topic compressor problem
I replaced the valves and the compressor still does the same. Sucks air in from the left cylinder and blows it out the right one.

6 years 9 months ago #2089 by MTR-Admin
Odis,

This is strange...just to confirm, you have suction from the left cylinder's intake filter, and it's exhausting air form the right cylinder's air filter?

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds