DeWalt D55270 Gas Power Air Compressor

8 years 1 month ago #1527 by paintballdude05
DeWalt D55270 Gas Power Air Compressor was created by paintballdude05
This is the second gas powered air compressor I picked up. I bought this one of Kijiji from a contractor on March 9th for $50. This unit is in rough shape and doesn't run. The original compressor pump is seized up and when the former owner brought it in they recommended a new pump assembly. The Honda engine isn't running either, but it could probably start up with some work. The fuel shut-off was left on and the crankcase is full of oil/fuel. I'll have to drain all that out and see if I can fire up the engine. The chassis is in good shape though structurally with just a few bumps and bruises. The controls all look like they would function (this one has a pneumatic throttle control) but a few new gauges would be needed since the old ones are a bit out.

The compressor pump is obviously the biggest issue with this compressor. I'm looking at $500+ for a new pump so I will be tearing apart the existing unit to see if it could be rebuilt. I'm not sure exactly what would seize on these, maybe the bearings just went? It looked like the compressor oil was on the low side of things when I did check it.

I'm not sure what the plan for this compressor is right now. Overall it seems like the DeWalt compressor is a better build and design than the Ridgid. However, the Rigid is going to take less work and money to get up and going. I plan on keeping one of the two compressors and selling the second to recoup my cost on the whole project. If I do end up fixing this unit, it will be getting a sand blasting/ powdercoating treatment as long as the cost is prohibitive.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #1529 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic DeWalt D55270 Gas Power Air Compressor
I would certainly install a new pump on this one; you can either go with the DeWalt version of this Emglo (formerly) "KU" pump, or the real thing, which is the (now) Jenny "421-1102" KU pump.

You can find a full breakdown of this DeWalt unit below:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/air-compressor-...s-d55270-p-6091.html

This is essentially DeWalt's take on the original Emglo K5HGA-8P unit, which is a bullet-proof compressor:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/air-compressor-...-k5cga-8p-p-757.html

You don't have to install a new "KU" pump on the unit, of course, but this is one of the best pumps you can possibly install on the unit. I don't believe DeWalt offers their version of the pump any longer, they discontinued it as far as I know.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to help.

- MTR

8 years 1 month ago #1532 by paintballdude05
Replied by paintballdude05 on topic DeWalt D55270 Gas Power Air Compressor
Thanks for the links! I'm hoping to break even on the purchase and restoration of both of these compressors, offset by the sale of one of them. I'd like to keep the better unit between the two, I'm leaning towards this DeWalt. I might take the "good" Emglo pump from the Rigid and put a cheaper replacement on it. That way the DeWalt is fairly close to original condition. I'm interested to see how much my powder coater is going to charge me for this project, I'm thinking about $150 per unit including the tanks and sheet metal. I'm probably going to get the engine sheet metal done to so they're looking mint too. I might tear into the pump on this unit this weekend if I got the time.

8 years 1 month ago #1534 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic DeWalt D55270 Gas Power Air Compressor
Sounds good. Parts are still available for the pump if you're looking to replace them. Most likely the aluminum Rods are seized on the Crank. Most of the time (if it's not very serious) you can polish up the crank of aluminum deposits and install new Rods.

Let me know what you find!

- MTR

7 years 9 months ago #1771 by paintballdude05
Well after spending some time on other projects, I'm now back on this one. I'm going to need to sandblast some body parts for a vehicle rebuild that I'm doing and this compressor should fit the bill. I've nearly got the tanks stripped down, the last part left is the rubber feet that are fighting me. I can't seem to get them to slide out of they grooves but I'll retry tonight. I've also got the belt guard all straitened out and reinforced with some extra welds, it's much stronger now than stock, it's amazing what a few extra spot welds will do! Once the tanks are all stripped, I'll be degreasing them so they can go to the powder coaters along with the belt guard and misc. engine parts. Photo's to come later!

7 years 9 months ago #1773 by paintballdude05
Well the tank and belt guard are now with the powdercoater, I should have them back in the next couple of weeks. In the meantime I'm going to take the pump and engine off the Rigid compressor to get them cleaned up, tuned and ready for install on the DeWalt tanks.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds