Connecting rod bolt sheared, am I screwed?

4 years 7 months ago #3221 by platcham
I recently purchased a bostitch valve plate assembly (part number AB-942999) to fix a broken valve on my compressor. After installing the kit, the compressor ran well for about 5 minutes before I heard something break in the valve kit. I immediately stopped it and took it apart, to find that the torx screw holding on the connecting rod cover to the connecting rod had sheared, damaging the connecting rod cover itself.

I've tried to remove the rest of the bolt from the rod with a screw removal kit, with no luck. At this point I've pretty much entirely drilled out the bolt.

So my question is, am I screwed? Is there any way to fill and retap the connecting rod, or will I need to buy a whole new kit for it? I'm rather unimpressed that the new screw from the kit sheared almost immediately causing more damage.

Attached are some pictures of the sheared screw, the damage to the connecting rod cover, the rest of the screw in the connecting rod, and the state it's in now after my removal attempts.

Thanks for the help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 7 months ago #3223 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Connecting rod bolt sheared, am I screwed?
That is strange. I've never seen that before.
How is the bearing of the crankshaft? Is there any wobble in it?

4 years 7 months ago #3224 by platcham
Replied by platcham on topic Connecting rod bolt sheared, am I screwed?
No wobble in the bearing that I can tell.

I think I'm just going to replace the connecting rod, I think the connecting rod cover is intact enough to reuse, and I have the original screw to connect the cover to the rod.

Do you happen to know if the A710100 connecting rod can replace this instead of the A610100? They look the same to me, minus the air intake on the A610100, which I no longer need as I have the new style valve kit with the intake on top.

4 years 7 months ago #3225 by MTR-Admin
I will ask the manufacturer and get back to you.

4 years 7 months ago #3226 by MTR-Admin
Per the mfgr. "A610100 does not come up in our system. I don’t show that we ever carried that part so I am unable to verify if it can be replaced by A710100. Do you happen to have the model # that the A610100 goes with?"

Are you seeing A610100 stamped on the side of the rod? If so, that is simply a casting number, not the part number.

4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #3227 by platcham
Replied by platcham on topic Connecting rod bolt sheared, am I screwed?
Sorry, that was a mistype on my part, the old connecting rod is part number A610101

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds