Kobalt 232177 Pressure Switch

5 years 3 months ago #2895 by junkman333
Kobalt 232177 Pressure Switch was created by junkman333
I have a Kobalt 232177 air compressor and I recently ordered a new pressure switch from you all. The switch says it cuts off at 135 psi but the compressor will not pump up to more than 120-125. Also 135 psi seems pretty high for this small of a compressor. I checked your site to make sure I ordered the right thing and it is what you have listed for that model. Is there a switch for it that does not go so high?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 3 months ago #2897 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Kobalt 232177 Pressure Switch
I totally agree that this is too much pressure for this unit. What is probably the real issue is a worn piston ring and cylinder.
mastertoolrepair.com/gasket-cylinder-kit-e101721-p-20220.html
or a cracked valve.
mastertoolrepair.com/valve-reed-15210-e100229-p-25201.html

5 years 3 months ago #2901 by junkman333
Replied by junkman333 on topic Kobalt 232177 Pressure Switch
I actually just replaced all of that. Could I have a reed sitting wrong or something? Its only pressurizing to about 120-125 psi and wont get any higher. I have checked everything to make sure there wasn't any leaks.

5 years 3 months ago #2902 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Kobalt 232177 Pressure Switch
These units have been overpressurized in my opinion.
At this point, I would call Coleman Powermate at 888-895-4549 who made the unit for Lowe's.

5 years 3 months ago #2915 by junkman333
UPDATE & NEW ISSUE:

Ok I talked to Coleman Powermate and they told me the unit was very capable of handling the high pressure (ok whatever) and told me there was no other pressure switch for it.

I did some more inspection on the unit and found one of the reed valves was just slightly off center, which would explain why it would only pressurize to about 125 psi. I fixed that and now she pumps up to 145 psi when the blow off pops. Which also told me the new pressure switch was faulty. I notified you all and you sent me a replacement. The replacement is in and cuts the motor off at about 140 psi.

New issue:
When the pressure drops and the pressure switch closes, the motor comes on but is locked up from the back pressure and will not turn until the pressure drops to about 40 psi. What can I do to resolve this new issue?

Thanks!

5 years 3 months ago #2916 by junkman333
UPDATE:

I filled the tank and removed the line from the head and no air came back out so the check valve is good to go.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds