Compressor will not build pressure past 30lb.

6 years 6 months ago - 6 years 6 months ago #2190 by blake101

My compressor will not build pressure past 30lb, so from what I have read I am thinking valves. Can't find any info on the hulk website, this model has been discontinued. Can anyone point me in the right direction for parts and where to order them from. Provided I am thinking right.
Left side cylinder sucks air in through the filter slightly. Right side blows air out through the filter slightly, it never builds up enough pressure in the tank to shut off. Would this be caused by the Reed valve or something else. From doing some reading I think this compressor is made by EMAX.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 6 months ago #2193 by blake101
Replied by blake101 on topic Compressor will not build pressure past 30lb.
Okay took it on my self to take it apart, from looking at the reed valves, they look great, no hair line crack, no rust, just a little discoloration, nothing that scotch bright didn't take care of. I cleaned up all four valves on both pistons. Piston number 1 seemed to suck air a little better and piston number 2 their was no change. took #2 apart again thinking the valve my have slipped a little when putting it together (used Vaseline to help hold things in place) but it was fine.Repeated this about 4 more times but still no luck. so I took it down to the piston, again things looked good. The cylinder wall looked good also, but I am no mechanic, no scaring or scratches that I could see or feel, when I put it together I staggered the gap in the rings so they wouldn't line up, but still no pressure. Can someone lead me in the right direction?

6 years 6 months ago #2194 by blake101
Took it apart again yesterday and replace both head gaskets. My thought was that maybe the intake valve was leaking over into the compression valve. It was just a thought as I still can't get it to build pressure, can anyone tell me what a bad Reed valve looks like, mine are nice and clean and shiny and can't see any visible defects on it. Somehow do they just wear out and don't retain their spring or what? Also there are no visible air leaks on the compressor I've used soap and water to check it. Another thought is do the valve plates go bad and if so what happens to them? I meant to take pictures of the process yesterday so you can see what everything looks like but forgot.

6 years 6 months ago #2196 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Compressor will not build pressure past 30lb.
Thanks for the post Blake101,

My first thought it defective valves and/or gaskets, as this is typical when the pump won't build up much pressure, and if the air filter is blowing air out instead of sucking it in.
This can be caused by damaged gaskets and or valves. The valves may not look "bad" necessarily but they may have lost tension (they're made of a spring steel) so as to not open and close as they should on the openings of the valve plate.
I can't find any breakdowns on this unit as it's a private labelled unit, so I'm not sure who manufactured it. You can always try and find some spring steel around the same thickness of the valves in this pump and cut them to fit.

- MTR

6 years 6 months ago #2198 by blake101
I appreciate the response. Since I made the first post I tore the compressor down and found a blown gasket under one of the valve plates. While I had it apart I honed all of the metal surfaces as it looked like none of them are actually flat. I am sure this is a Chinese version so I don't expect too much on the quality part. Everything is working as it should now, very nice little compressor actually, but one question, can you tell me how to measure the piston for new rings and where I might locate some. I don't need any at the moment I was just wondering where I could access the parts.

6 years 6 months ago #2200 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Compressor will not build pressure past 30lb.
Glad to help if I can.

As for the Rings, I have to be honest and say that I'm not sure how to exactly measure the rings to obtain accurate replacements.

I would recommend Hastings Rings and inquire to this. I've included the link below for you:

www.hastingspistonrings.com/ring-finder

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds