Had to lay down oil type compressor

7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #1734 by fitz71
Had to lay down oil type compressor was created by fitz71
:unsure: I need some advice. Last week I bought a used Ingersol Rand Model SS313 compressor in like new condition. Unfortunately, I had to move it in a Dodge Caravan, which means I had to lay it down. The seller told me to stand it up, let it set for a week, remove the air cleaner and hand turn it over to make sure no more oil was in the cylinder. But something tells me there is more to this, like the airline from the compressor to the tank was also facing directly down. Can oil get in the line, and then to the tank once I stood it up? Any advice on what to do now? I've never owned an industrial compressor so I don't know much about them. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 10 months ago #1735 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Had to lay down oil type compressor
Thanks for the post!

It's possible oil leaked into the cylinders and into the pump head, yes. It's unlikely you have oil in the Discharge Line to the tank, but certainly possible. Typically the valves (whether they're Reeds or Discs) would stay closed so as to prevent oil from reaching the Discharge Tube to the tank.

I would stand it up like the seller mentioned and just let it sit for a few days, but I would also remove the Discharge Tube from the pump head to confirm the presence of oil or not. If your air filter element has oil on it, and your Discharge Tube has oil in it, most likely some oil reached the tank.

If any oil reached the tank, you can purchase a solution at an industrial supply shop, auto parts store or hardware store that can rinse the tank of oil deposits (which you would then drain out of the main tank drain cock).

First, however, see if you have a soaked air filter element or if oil is in the Discharge Line.

- MTR

7 years 10 months ago #1737 by fitz71
Replied by fitz71 on topic Had to lay down oil type compressor
Hey, thanks MTR. Ok will do, except one thing. The "main drain cock". There ISN'T one. At least, the type that looks like a "wing nut". There is something there, but I've never seen anything like it. Almost looks like an "over pressure release valve" , or something. Do you know anything about what that could be?

7 years 10 months ago #1738 by fitz71
ps.. how or where would I pour or introduce that solution to clean out the tank..if oil is present?

7 years 10 months ago #1739 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Had to lay down oil type compressor
Hmm, if you can take a photo of it and upload it, I certainly could, but I'm sure it's just a different type of drain valve. It could be a knurled type, which has a textured piece to grip so you can turn it CCW to drain the tank.

You can see the various styles of drain valves by clicking on the below link:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/air-compressor-...n-cocks-c-25_70.html

As for the second issue, you can use a degreaser such as Purple Power, or a similar product; dilute it to about 50/50. You could spray this into the main tank inlet where your Discharge Line connect to, just remove the Check Valve first.
If you have a very small amount of oil in the line, however, I wouldn't worry about it, unless you're painting, of course. In this case, it's (obviously) important to have no oil in the line whatsoever.

- MTR

7 years 10 months ago #1740 by fitz71
Hi again. Well, I'm using this to lacquer furniture, paint and other air tool use. So yeah, if I find one drop... I'll clean it out. However I am installing various filters, like a coalescing filter, and a silica water absorption filter too. Maybe those will help. I'll look at that drain thingy again and compare it to the pics. Unfortunately, there is very little room under there. I'll have to tilt it back to get a pic if it doesn't match up to one. Ok, thanks again!

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds