27 gal Powermate problems

8 years 1 month ago #1545 by fitz71
27 gal Powermate problems was created by fitz71
Hello everyone, nube here with questions on a Coleman Powermate 27 gal. upright portable compressor.

Ok, my main problem is the compressor takes a long long time to fully reach shut off capacity. This compressor is over 10 yrs old and still works, but it's due for some maintenance. The second problem is it blows the pressure release valve and continues to run unless I shut it off and push the valve stem back in. I have researched the problems on youtube etc, and it looks like I need a kit to replace the piston, seal, perhaps the reed valve and maybe a whole new pressure switch. Hopefully only the seal and maybe reed valve. But I hate to take this apart until I know I can get parts.

Unfortunately, I have searched and searched, but can not find parts for my particular model, which is a VLA06002712. This model is a Direct drive, oil less

Perhaps someone can tell me if other model number parts are interchangeable, and where to find them. I really want to fix this as I'm on a fixed income and can't afford a new compressor. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 1 month ago #1548 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic 27 gal Powermate problems
Thanks for the post fitz71,

I got you covered. This model is the same as the "PLA0602712" and "L0602712" which Coleman Powermate manufactures; the prefixes aren't terribly consequential, it just denotes the configuration of the compressor, color of the air tank, etc..

We have a full breakdown of this unit with a parts list on our site, click on the below link to view it:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/portable-oil-fr...602712-p-747264.html

Yes, the Pressure Switch is most likely the reason for the Safety Valve blowing off. That unit should shut off at 125 PSI (I believe) and if it's pressurizing past that point, the Pressure Switch is to blame. You can try adjusting it, but you may need to replace the whole switch.

Click on the link below to find out how to adjust the pressure switch (if your model is adjustable):

www.mastertoolrepair.com/how-to-adjust-p...-switch-p-30582.html

As for the problem with the unit building up pressure too slowly, this is most likely caused by a worn Cylinder and Piston Ring, yes.

The only way this is offered is in a kit, on the "Pump Parts" diagram at the link I gave you, above. There are two different kits sold, depending on the horsepower rating of your compressor; this spec should be located on the main decal on your tank.

Unfortunately, Coleman Powermate doesn't offer Reed Valves or Piston components separately, so a kit will be necessary. The Valves may be in good shape, more often than not it's the Piston Ring and Cylinder which is worn.

Let me know if you have any more questions I can answer!

- MTR

8 years 1 month ago #1550 by fitz71
Replied by fitz71 on topic 27 gal Powermate problems
Wow! That's what I love about the internet! :P Thanks so much. Ok, I'll check the parts out and see if my budget fits. Hahaha! Ok, onward. Later.

8 years 1 month ago #1551 by MTR-Admin
Glad to help :)

If any other questions arise, feel free to post them here!

- MTR

8 years 1 month ago #1552 by fitz71
Replied by fitz71 on topic 27 gal Powermate problems
Cool. I like that. :lol:
After looking at the parts lists..yes I do. Some of the parts, like the Pressure Switch, has two options. One @$125 and the other @$49. Big difference. What tells me which one is correct? More over, both these units have a "rating" of 125psi. My compressor is rated at 155psi. Will these parts still work?

Also, my budget at the moment only allows for the Piston/Cylinder kit. So, until my budget allows, I'll have to pass on the Pressure Switch. Is this a dangerous condition? I mean.. can I keep running the compressor like this until I can afford to change it?

And finally, in the description for the Pressure gauge it says.."Replace after 5 years as they weaken and give improper readings." Does the Pressure gauge have anything to do with the Pressure Switch? Like maybe an improper reading causing the switch not to shut off at maximum pressure? Just wondering if replacing the gauge might fix the problem with the switch. No matter.it looks like I need to change this part too.

Well, now that I know I can get parts..time to tear this thing down and really see which parts are bad. Thanks again for the info.

8 years 1 month ago #1554 by MTR-Admin
If your unit typically shuts off at 155 PSI and that's what the tank decal says, then you're right...the pressure switch on the page I give you won't work.

This one will, however, at $32 + shipping:

www.mastertoolrepair.com/125-155-psi-fur...034-0187-p-5307.html

It cuts in at 125 PSI and cuts out at 155 PSI. It may look slightly different than your original but it'll work. It has a 4-port manifold (to thread in your Safety Valve and Pressure Gauge), an on/off switch and the Unloader Valve on the side that accepts 1/4" compression fitting.

The Pressure Gauge won't affect how the Pressure Switch operates, no; the Gauge simply reads the pressure, that's all.

It won't necessarily hurt the unit to run like it is, but just make sure you shut if off manually when your Safety Valve blows off, because the longer it runs, the more likely it will damage the motor and other pump components.

As long as your Safety Valve works, it's safe to use like that for the time being.

- MTR

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds