Kobalt VPK0880803 regulator removal

9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #850 by Rookie
Kobalt VPK0880803 regulator removal was created by Rookie
Hi,

I'm hoping you can help me with my Kobalt Air Compressor. The working pressure basically mirrors the tank pressure at all times. When I turn the regulator knob counter clockwise the working pressure remains the same. I see a regulator repair kit (105-0004) available and have seen your install video. My question is how do I get the regulator knob off the manifold to access these parts?

There isn't an accessible ring nut or anything to loosen the knob, and not sure if I should just force the knob counterclockwise further than it will typically travel. Any thoughts?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 years 4 months ago #851 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Kobalt VPK0880803 regulator removal
Thanks for the post!

If you click on the below link you'll see a parts diagram with parts list:
www.mastertoolrepair.com/air-compressor-...3-162700-p-5871.html

It looks like the #56 Pin needs to first be removed, then the knob will essentially screw off. It doesn't look like there is a screw holding it on in the recessed center portion of the knob, just this Pin.

I haven't actually disassembled this particular model myself, so I'm going to ask another tech to see if he has an answer for you.

The 105-1004 Kit should repair your problem, however.

- MTR

9 years 4 months ago #852 by Rookie
Replied by Rookie on topic Kobalt VPK0880803 regulator removal
MTR, Thanks for the reply. I do see that little pin on the knob and will try to remove. I guess it just pulls out... I'll let you know.

9 years 4 months ago #853 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Kobalt VPK0880803 regulator removal
Sure thing!

Another tech said that he has used an offset screwdriver to wedge the pin out from the inside of the Knob, you could try this.

It's a discontinued unit now, of course, so finding information on how to disassemble it seems to be difficult. Let me know what you find and we'll go from there.

- MTR

9 years 4 months ago #854 by Rookie
Success! I removed that really small pin with a pair of needle nose vice grips, and unscrewed the knob. Now I have a new issue...
How do I remove the white piece inside the regulator. I can't get it to budge and can't get a grip on it with anything. I'm guessing this is why the regulator doesn't work.
Any thoughts on getting this piece out?
Here's a picture of the white insert.
Attachments:

9 years 4 months ago #855 by Rookie
Nevermind! I used the compressor to get the white piece out. Fired it up and when a little pressure built it popped off.

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds