Irregular water flow

8 years 8 months ago #1097 by pickthisone
Irregular water flow was created by pickthisone
I have a Husky 2800 PSI pressure washer and when I hook up the garden hose and turn the water on about half of the water flowing through to the pump goes directly out through the soap tank line and when I start the pump the flow out of the soap line increases. Would the issue have something to do with the unloader valve? I have tried to remove the unloader valve without any luck. It appears to be stuck in the pump housing and no matter how much a soak it in wd-40 I cannot get it to free up. I would hate to replace the pump housing just because the unloader is stuck. Does anyone have any ideas what to do about my problem. Also when I press the trigger on the spray nozzle I do get some pressure. This is the only issue I am having.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 8 months ago #1099 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Irregular water flow
Thanks for the post!

First off, what is the model# of the unit? This will help in diagnosis.

It sounds like there may be more than an issue with the chemical injector here. The soap feeder tube usually hooks to a small fitting on the high pressure outlet and will only siphon chemicals or soap at low pressure through the spray gun. There is usually a check valve in the chemical injector that prevents water from leaking back through the soap tube. The check valve is usually a ball with seat and a spring, there is usually an orifice made into the housing. If the ball, seat or spring were damaged or seized from mineral buildup this could cause it to leak back through the soap tube.
It also sounds as though the unloader is seized in the aluminum pump housing; this is a common occurrence.

When you say that you get 'some pressure', can you clarify a bit? Does the unit have the proper pressure and just leaks water through the soap tube or do you think that the soap tube leak is causing the unit to lose pressure? OEM pumps are usually good for about 50 hours of use, if there is a high mineral content to the water or no filter is used then the pump life will be cut. Based on the information that is available here I would say that this unit is going to possibly need a pump.

- MTR

7 years 8 months ago #1774 by davvee16
Replied by davvee16 on topic Irregular water flow
I turned off the water to the house at the main shut off valve while I was fixing a faucet problem. When I turned the main water shut off back on a slow drip is now occurring right at the knob. The drip is slowing stopping though. At first it was like every 8 seconds then 20 seconds, then 38 seconds and now 48 seconds. Is this common? Will it slowly stop or is there a bigger problem forthcoming? Any ideas as to what I should do about this? I'm guessing I should have it checked just because it is now slowly dripping but was curious if this is common or a sign of a bigger problem. Thank you!

7 years 8 months ago #1788 by MTR-Admin
Replied by MTR-Admin on topic Irregular water flow
Not sure if you mean the valve in the ground or under the house?

Depends if you have a gate valve, and that's what it sounds like.

If so, then the packing around the handle can be replaced in most cases, but the water has to be turned off at the street.

This is a gate valve. If you remove the screw holding the red handle on, then remove the top gland nut, there is usually packing material below the gland nut. You can purchase the packing material at a hardware store, wind it clockwise around the stem, then tighten the gland nut, but not too tight. This should fix it.

Hope this helps a little!

Moderators: MTR-Admin
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds